Acer's 7-inch Tablet Launching in August at $300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfjn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Didn't they release tablets with real OS (Microsoft) years ago? Didn't they fail miserably? The tablet is not a desktop. You don't want huge fan blowing at your crotch and to cook eggs on it!Buy yourself a netbook if you can bear how sluggish they work.I don't understand why people expect that tablets have to do everything a 20-30 pound PC does? Tablet are completely different product. They need to be fast and light and to start up in 1 second. They are media consumption devices, they are not production devices and they will never be.[/citation]

Hi,

Tablet PCs are still very much around, but are definitely a niche product. I've had one for years and use it quite frequently (especially when on travel). They are especially nice in that I can (and have) used them as a desktop replacement a couple times when I needed to. Admittedly due to its lower specs its not as fast as my desktop, but it does have the operating system and features necessary to run the stuff that my desktop does.

Recently I purchased a low cost Android Tablet for doing simple email checking and web surfing and simple apps, due to its quick start up capabilities, etc. However, if a Windows based Tablet PC were to come out with similarly fast start up capability I'd probably snatch one up quickly, as it would eliminate any need for me to own both devices. :)

Regards

Pat

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Please install a spam filter on these forums! And immediately delete the perpetrator's accounts. Scrolling through literally screens full of clothing advertisements is incredibly annoying.

G

I don't understand people that say 7 inch screen is too small. Maybe you need to get glasses? Wait, isn't text size adjustable?
I would actually prefer about a 6 inch screen because then it would still be big enough to do everything I need but would still fit in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.