Acer's Honeycomb Tablet Cheaper Than iPad 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]$449.99 ...WOW...Here is what I could do with that much.1. Buy an "as is" i7 laptop with 4GB of ram and a decrete nVidia graphics (with a broken screen) on eBay
(Don't need to pay to have it installed cause I've got skillz)That's it... ~~ all for LESS than a dumb little tablet. It's just too much for a weakling computer.[/citation]

Wow! So like there are MILLIONS of these $350 damaged notebooks for people to buy? Yeah such details is important because Apple is selling about 1million iPads a month, they can't make enough of them.

You may have skillz to put a screwdriver to a notebook, but you are lacking in other skillz.
You are being a tech/kid. Not a consumer/user/business. Thats why I get paid to do what you are talking about.

You are not understanding the market. Not everyone has a pick-up truck when a regular car will get the job done. On a business project I work on, such a notebook (and I do have notebooks) having such a device is not as elegant or easy as an iPad or tablet. A 2lb device that rotates quickly, comes on instantly has its place. As does a 5~7lbs notebook.

When *I* work, its on my nice 24" screen. When I'm in front of the TV and want to relax or look up something quick, a press of a button - 2-3 secs to lock onto the wifi - and I'm ready to go.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Not a bad looking device... Still don't care for the EXTRA wide-screen display. :(

The name is stupid "Iconia Tab A500"... what does A500 mean? They are trying to grab some of the mass market. "Iconia Tab" would have been fine.

Android experience on our phones made us go with an iPad. Not that Android is BAD, its does somethings... badly and many things messy. Since I have no love for Apple, I'd like to see Google/Android make vast improvements in delivery and interface designs.

Exciting times.

G

Do you guys know ANYTHING about Android? It is clearly superior to iOS of any kind; the only problem is that ordinary people don't know anything about technology, and Apple has been dominating the market with their "user-friendly" devices purely off of former success (and since each product is successful, the next one succeeds too, regardless of how many better alternatives there are). For some reason, Apple always beats everyone to the next big thing, so then everyone has to compare to them (hence the terms "iPhone killer," "iPad killer," etc), and that puts them on top. I won't deny that Apple's products are perfect for everyday technologically-impaired people, which unfortunately for Android, makes up a large majority of the market, but as a student of computer science, and a mobile application developer, I just can't stand Apple.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This won't kill an iPad. Believe it or not, you can get on a corporate network (WAP-EAP style) with an iPad out of the box. You can't do the same with most Android-based products including this one. Works well at home out of the box.

While Android may seem superior, until you can get on a corporate network with tablets based on this OS (and I can't believe I'm saying this), the iPad has an edge. Imagine advising your CEO he should go with an android-based tablet and then have to tell him he can't login to the corporate network when he's in the office.

If anyone knows a way to get these things to work on a WAP-EAP secured network without rooting the device, let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.