Acer's 'Liquid Metal' Phone Runs Android 2.2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I'm just not sold on smart phones.

I carry a dirt cheap pay as you go phone and an iPod Touch. If I am going someplace where I'd want to take picture I bring a real digital camera.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I was thinking the same thing. Apple will surely sue over the name.[/citation]

Actually it tends to be more like a small computer. You can do far more on these smart phones now then you could 2 years ago, if you want just a phone get a nokia 1112 or a 6303i witch have long battery life and stay charged ~7 days.
Id say a 1.5-2 days battery life on these is good for such a big screen. Wish it lasted 3-4 days.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Folks, if you just want a phone to make phone calls then why are you even remotely considering a smartphone? For those of you that appear to be computer illiterate, a smartphone is a PC just like your Windows PC. The only difference is the physical size. A phone that just makes phone calls can't do things like word processing or spreadsheets for example.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
its all good for me metal sounds tough and 800mhz may mean better battery life.Android need a few kinks to be worked out of it to optimize battery which is in its power. i personally liked to seen a 3.9 inch screen. but i guess we'll see how this one plays out. just another android? who knows right?

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]kanazak[/nom]Agreed! The phone isn't even out yet and it has a slower processor than the last generation of phones? Not encouraging.[/citation]
[citation][nom]the_wolf88[/nom]WTF !!800MHz only ?! C'mon !!!!![/citation]

Shall i remind you 2 that MHz doesn't mean everything or shall we have to take a trip down memory lane back to the P4 vs Athlon 64 days ?

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Shall i remind you 2 that MHz doesn't mean everything or shall we have to take a trip down memory lane back to the P4 vs Athlon 64 days ?[/citation]
This time the clock speed actually tells a lot because the CPUs are all very similar.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
This is just named Liquid Metal and doesn't mean it'll be using liquid metal. Acer is usually a follower and a budget brand so I do not expect them to use innovative/expensive parts.

BTW, I am very interested on how Apple will use liquid metal in their products.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]do you really need more than an 800mhz cpu to make a phone call???? It is just a PHONE, not a supercomputer.[/citation]

No one buys these phones just to make a call, or to be available, it is more or less a fashion statement, the love for new electronic gizmos and so on.
And even if you only want to make a call - this is then a service running in the phones OS (I think at least) so the slower the processor the more time it takes to go to contacts, find the right person and make a call...

I only hope the 800 Mhz will not drain the battery so excessively as the more powerful processors do and it's use is therefore deliberate and not a sign of slow development.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
YEP! Typical Android BS! Release a new phone that won't even support the next update, LOL! More of the same!

Oh, and this phone was a lot cooler when it came out in 2004 and was called the RAZR.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]do you really need more than an 800mhz cpu to make a phone call???? It is just a PHONE, not a supercomputer.[/citation]
These aren't just phones anymore, they are almost full blown computers, people do a lot more then just make phone calls with these. Releasing a phone that is right out of the gate behind newest phones and some last gen ones puts them at a disadvantage.

empower64

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Wow..people need to learn before opening there mouths. First the 800 mhz clock won't change battery life at all! Secondly this is the second generation of Qualcomm processor with an upgraded adreno gpu chipset and should deliver performance on par with samsungs 1ghz hummingbird processor because the current 1ghz snapdragon is aging. All said this chip and all 1ghz variants deliver more than enough power to drive all modern android applications.

This is the same chip that will be driving the new G2.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
To all the /b tards going "its not just a phone you can do stuff". Seriously? Your gonn type out a report on a smartphone? No, your gonn charge it twice because the battery is pitifully small.

All the android makers need to get their heads straightened thinking that a 1200mah battery is enough. I want double that stock. Just in case I have a shtf moment and need to keep my phone on my person fpr a day or two, without charging it. And make a phone call.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]kencolestud69[/nom]Wouldn't the metal case cause reception issues with the antenna?[/citation]

Only if you hold it wrong.

The phone looks sleek. I'd like to see photos of the OTHER side of it though. LOL

G

Just want to clarify to those upset with the 800 Mhz spec.
I personally know some of the designers of this new Snapdragon CPU.
Its a newer generation chip with vastly improved features, modem, multimedia, performance and battery life.
Again 800 MHz Vs 1GHz is never a straight performance indicator. There are several other parameters that go into defining a CPUs overall performance.
I strongly believe this would make a great phone, outperforming most phones out there.

screechy

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I like the big middle finger to apple approach. It seems to work well. On another note I think this thing will be ok so long as the battery life is decent this phone will make alot of people happy. Just not Steve Jobs

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I don't understand the drama with 800MHz, honestly if anyone knows acer, they are a budget brand, and if they want their first phone to succeed in the market it's going to need to offer more than any other phone at it's price point.

So everyone whinging about the proc speed can go buy the Asus phone for $200 more, and the rest of us on budgets will get a high end phone with a coupld of corners cut.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]the_wolf88[/nom]WTF !!800MHz only ?![/citation]

This is a budget or entry smart phone for those who will go after only free apps and/or low tier data plans. This isn't a phone to attract iPhone, Evo, Galaxy or Droid users.

Status
Not open for further replies.