Activision: Black Ops II Grossed $1 Billion in 15 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
No way.

There must be something wrong with those numbers.A BILLION (as in a thousand million) dollars?

I mean...come on....I almost don't want it to be true.

G

Meh, I bought it. I thoroughly enjoy the "stupid fun" factor of the game. Its simple and easy to get into and I personally enjoy simple shooters without any over the top aspects sometimes. (I am referring to vehicles in BF/PS2/etc)

Dunno why everyone bashes it. Yah shoot stuff, fun ensues. What of it.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sdfuisydf[/nom]Meh, I bought it. I thoroughly enjoy the "stupid fun" factor of the game. Its simple and easy to get into and I personally enjoy simple shooters without any over the top aspects sometimes. (I am referring to vehicles in BF/PS2/etc)Dunno why everyone bashes it. Yah shoot stuff, fun ensues. What of it.[/citation]

My brother in law bought it too. Just like all the other ones. It gets bashed because its nearly exactly the same. Just like the people that buy every year of madden, the show, or what not. There are so few changes in them from year to year you are not getting anything different than you already have. Sorta like my wife buying a new bag that's exactly the same as the one she already owns because its the new version in a different color.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
at $50/copy it's 20 million copies. Are there that many first person shooter gamers there? I'm actually very happy about it!
-IvanTO

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
1 billion and yet they can't hire a good team to make decent PC versions...

With this kind of revenue, PC versions should be more than an ugly port.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]fedelm[/nom]No way.There must be something wrong with those numbers.A BILLION (as in a thousand million) dollars?I mean...come on....I almost don't want it to be true.[/citation]
Comparison in prices? Where I am you can buy 6, maybe 7 or even 8 tickets for a single game on average so with that in mind that's less than 20m sales for the game. Not really that much considering the sheer amount of consoles and PC's - ~130m PS3 and 360's, at least 50m PC's, probably more - then it's not THAT far fetched... But still, more than all the top 10 combined is insane. However people are going less and less where I am because it's just not worth it.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
There's nothing wrong with a cash-cow for a company as long as it evolves and strives to be greater with each release. So, how long until the COD sheep realize they're buying something that's a 95% rehash of what they bought the previous year? According to these sales figures, it could be quite some time.....

G

shows how stupid people are for paying £50 for 5yr+ old game engine

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]Meanwhile, kids in Africa are starving due to not being able to come up with 1$ for their one meal a day.[/citation]

How is this relevant to the article?

G

Commence hate comments from idiots who hate the company and simply suck at playing CoD, yet still buy it.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Comparison in prices? Where I am you can buy 6, maybe 7 or even 8 tickets for a single game on average so with that in mind that's less than 20m sales for the game. Not really that much considering the sheer amount of consoles and PC's - ~130m PS3 and 360's, at least 50m PC's, probably more - then it's not THAT far fetched... But still, more than all the top 10 combined is insane. However people are going less and less where I am because it's just not worth it.[/citation]

Yeah, if you break it down to unit sales it doesn't look so shocking.

The number is unbelieveable for a game that (as many have said above) is almost a re-do of the previous one.

I just hope the new console generation brings some innovation in game production. This gets very tiresome, how many Callfield: Battle of Duty are there going to release every year? How long is this going to last?

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]Meanwhile, kids in Africa are starving due to not being able to come up with 1$ for their one meal a day.[/citation]
try half a dollar, i know coz i see it 1st hand every day

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The reason why people should object to the CoD franchise's success isn't because of the game's quality itself. The issue is that it's bad for gaming. All the publishers see the success of the franchise and decide to try to flood the market with games just like it. That may sound harmless alone but games are a investment and money is limited. So instead of a great game of another genre getting green-lighted instead the CoD clone does. Thus killing the quality project.

We live in a age of gaming where it's not enough to learn from others and apply what works. Instead everything is just turning into a outright copy with no innovation to even try to be the superior game.

Status
Not open for further replies.