Activision: Titan Unlikely a Subscription-Based MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So, now that ActiBlizzard has been set free we will see what they can do on their own. Titan will be a truly Kotick game. I bet the work was scrapped because Vivendi set a specific direction for it and Kotick doesn't agree. Now separate, he can really soak players.

Also, no mention of the next Starcraft 2 installment. HOTS took 3 years, they better get a move on or it wont be released until 2020.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
HotS just came out, so its unlikely that new sc game will come any time soon. Also isnt Mike boss of Blizzard? I really dislike Blizzards affiliation with Activison. One made great games while other masses fps and sports for all I care to know about them...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@eodeo
Yes, Mike Morhaime is the boss of Blizzard, however, Bobby Kotick is his boss and has been since Vivendi purchased Activision and merged them with Blizzard and named Kotick as CEO of ActiBlizz.

And it's not an affiliation. Blizzard is owned by Activision Blizzard. When Vivendi bought Activision, they merged the two companies making a holding company called Activision Blizzard but also kept Activision and Blizzard as separate entities as subsidiaries to ActiBlizz. When Kotick and his financing partners bought out ActiBlizz, that means they own what ActiBlizz owns which means Activision and Blizzard. And yes, it gets a little confusing at times.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
@eodeo - HOTS took them 3 years to make, I would hope that LotV development would already be started. Kind of hoping to get it around 2015 or 2016.

The thought of Activision merged with Blizzard has always left a bad taste in my mouth. I can't think of a single Activision title I have liked since MechWarrior 2. However, I have owned every Blizzard title since Warcraft 1 and even played WoW for a couple years (Started with BC and sold my account a few months before Cat dropped.)

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
What is interesting is that Blizzard have not attempted to develop the world of warcraft franchise into a completely new game, with so much tradition to work on and a relatively stable player base, a revamp would make sense and something before 2016, so it's an interesting decision. Surely, now, the genres are so saturated it's getting harder and harder to make a game that's ever going to do what WoW did, since there is so much competition and fragmentation.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@sjc1017
Actually it's quite understandable why they haven't done anything with Warcraft. They drove off the hardcore Warcraft fan.

Those currently playing WoW, the vast majority have no clue, nor any interest, in knowing Warcraft lore. Of course with all the retcons, one can hardly keep up with the lore to be honest. Retcons may be an occasional, rare thing in an ongoing fictionsal universe, but Blizzard has done it way to many times over the years.

In fact, little of the story is even presented in game. One of the major storylines when WoW began was Varian's disappearance. Blizzard constantly promised that the storyline would be finished in game (was the Missing Diplomat questline). However, a game that charges $15 a month to play decided to wrap up the storyline in a series of comics that cost about $30 total to see completely. There are numerous other examples as well.

And then you get to the fact that WoW gives so much experience so fast, that even if a player doesn't wear heirloom gear that they will gain so much experience as to need to skip over zones from the order they were originally designed to present the story. But then the vast majority of players don't read quest text anyway to get any of the story, they merely see "Go get 10 of item X" and do it. Bosses and mobs in dungeons may as well be white square boxes with the title "Raid Boss 7 of Tier 12" over their head.

I think Blizzard knows that a WoW 2 or a WC4 would likely bomb out as the current playerbase does not have that same loyalty to Blizzard as the playerbase Blizzard pushed away after Kotick took over once had.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I F.ing hate free2play shit .... i much rather pay a fixed ammount and be equal to the rest of the players then get nickel and dimed for every crap...

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
EverQuest Next fuses builder games with open world sandbox freedom in a free-to-play bundle...Titan is scrapped at a point in time where that information could have leaked to Blizzard.

I'm not saying that is what happened. I am just saying that to scrap Titan as far into dev as it was, and with as many people on it as there were indicates that the game wasn't where Blizzard sees their market going.

Not shocking that they say it is unlikely to be a subscription MMO. Very few MMOs are launching with ONLY sub options any more. Most of them are calling themselves f2p and allowing subs as an upgrade.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hmm. No subscription fee? I smell another pocket drainer pay-to-win, investor pleasing game. Be careful Blizzard, your games are still some of the best, but your greed is starting to hurt your reputation.

Is Blizzard funded by Activision now? That wouldn't surprise me.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
It's funny how people were bashing Blizzard for still charging a monthly subscription while others are going F2P. They are still getting bashed with the possibility of going F2P. There is no pleasing some people.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I'm guessing P2W is true. Ding you have gained enough experience to reached level 2, would you like to purchase your level now or continue at level 1.

Good by Blizzard. now that Activision is truly speaking in your stead, your time has come and gone. R.I.P.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I'm guessing P2W is true. Ding you have gained enough experience to reached level 2, would you like to purchase your level now or continue at level 1.

Good by Blizzard. now that Activision is truly speaking in your stead, your time has come and gone. R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.