AdBlock's CatBlock Replaces Pesky Ads with Cat Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
It said was for Safari and Chrome only... Spyware infested browsers you say? bc I didnt see any on my precious FF

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Rather this than spam.... I'd take a picture of a cat over "miracle discovery allows mom to clean better" or "meet male singles in your area"
although I probably wouldn't prefer it over a newegg ad

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
personally i dont run adblock; ie9/chrome/firefox + common sense protects you from the nefarious.

I am perfectly happy generating ad revenue for the sites i visit; at this point my eyes dont even see the adds, it may as well be blank space.

The only type of ad that makes me reconsider this stance, incidentally, are the adverts featured on toms: mouse over/pop over ads.

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I do use Adblock, this wonderful FREE service, and i don't understand why I would have to pay a Monthly fee to see cats, instead of nothing. Just dosn't make since. I would rather pay a one time fee then monthly.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Kibarob[/nom]I do use Adblock, this wonderful FREE service, and i don't understand why I would have to pay a Monthly fee to see cats, instead of nothing. Just dosn't make since. I would rather pay a one time fee then monthly.[/citation]

he offered it as a permanent OPTION.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]jackbling, you know that some of the ads contain viruses, right?[/citation]

you are not getting a virus(

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]jackbling, you know that some of the ads contain viruses, right?[/citation]

you are not getting a virus(there are hardly any "real" viruses in circulation) from an ad loading in jscript or java from a reputable site, using any modern browser (ie9/chrome/ff/opera/safari)....

if you are on shady sites, rlslog, piratebay, etc.., then you should be running sandboxed.

Blocking ads on tomshardware is not protecting you; you are simply preventing toms from receiving ad revenue, on items you could manually ignore.

To each their own, but if you arent donating, letting ads load is doing your part to keep a site profitable/running. Reddit even puts up "thank you for not using adblock, here is a picture of a cat" in lieu of ads on every page.

In my mind, the only valid excuse is when you are on a portable system and want to limit cpu cycles in the interest of battery life. Most people using adblock are the same people that rage out over spam, instead of skimming over and moving on with your life.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I use adblock after encountering one too many websites that was badly loaded with ads, that took around several seconds for the pages to fully load. Oh, and the websites' ads were coded to load first, then the content that I'm actually interested in.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
A key difference with Chrome vs FF AdBlock is that with FF the ad is blocked at the server level - i.e. the ad isn't even transferred to your PC. With Chrome's version of Adblock, most ads are still downloaded to your PC and are only blocked during the rendering of the page. For this reason, FF+AdBlock should in most cases display (transfer) a webpage faster than Chrome+AdBlock.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Thus far I have been blocking ads manually, and so I have seen no cats aside from the one in this article. I wouldn't mind seeing cats, but I find it funny that so many people use standard adblock despite it being flawed in that the owners could do just about anything they want with it.

Why 'donate' to adblock when you're blocking ads manually? In that sense I made my own adblock.

Status
Not open for further replies.