AdBlock's CatBlock Replaces Pesky Ads with Cat Pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Blocking ads on tomshardware is not protecting you; you are simply preventing toms from receiving ad revenue, on items you could manually ignore.[/citation]

Tom's is the site that caused me to install an ad blocker to Chrome. It became dangerous to move my mouse while browsing articles here or get intrusive pop over ads. Add to that interstitial ads that pop up on loading a page and animated side-bar ads that distract from reading and it was too much manual work to ignore the ads.

No other site I use daily was as obtrusive with their advertising as this one.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I use adblock and flashblock on any site that uses pop-up / mouse over / or audio enabled ads. If a site has non intrusive ads then I have no problem leaving them enabled. This is why I use multiple browser's, sadly Toms has fallen into the "you get no ad revenue from me" list of sites due to their horrible choice in advertising.

Mr_Blastman

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Why useu Adblock? Why bother? When instead, you can just use a custom hosts file to block everything! There's no place like 127.0.0.1...

winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

G

Not everybody is tech-savvy, if your 70+ years old parents are using computer and internet, you can not expect them to manually add 127.0.0.1 for the unwanted domains into their hosts file!

Why do people always assume they are the only users of an application or everybody else
must have the same level of knowledge and common scene as themselves?

I use adblock myself and I will install it for every family member or friends that I setup a computer for.

Status
Not open for further replies.