Solved! Add A Tube Pre-Amp Into In Integrated Amp

May 6, 2020
I Have A Monoprice 50 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth and Line Output Want To Use A Tube Pre Amp How I Make That Work ?

Solution
If you want to connect a tube preamp that is better than the built in one you want to bypass the built in one. You would have to find the input of the solid state amp and wire RCA jacks directly to it or solder cables directly. You would probably need to remove the bottom of amp to do this.

To use it as a headphone amp you would have to connect them to the speaker terminals. A headphone extension cable with one end stripped to bare wire would work. As mentioned you could easily blow most headphones especially low impedance ones.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
From what I can see and read in the user's manual (PAGE 5), this amp has a built-in pre-amp. It has a direct wired input for CD and also a pre-amp output (from it's pre-amp). You could use another amp, but would need one with it's own built-in pre-amp. If this amp didn't have a pre-amp, it would most likely not have it's own volume, bass and treble controls. Those functions occur in the pre-amp stage. Also, dedicated power amps only have one input - that from the pre-amp. Your amp's Pre-out connections are for a subwoofer, but I ASSume the outputs are full-range and not low-pass only. I could be wrong. If I'm correct, then this output can be used for another dedicated power amp, because the volume and sound controls will work with that output.

What source do you want to connect? Is the reason you want a pre-amp because this one has few inputs? The CD input for example, can be used for just about anything except a turntable.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020
From what I can see and read in the user's manual, this amp has a built-in pre-amp. It has a direct wired input for CD and also a pre-amp output (from it's pre-amp). You could use another amp, but would need one with it's own built-in pre-amp. If this amp didn't have a pre-amp, it would most likely not have it's own volume, bass and treble controls. Those functions occur in the pre-amp stage. Also, dedicated power amps only have one input - that from the pre-amp.

What source do you want to connect? Is the reason you want a pre-amp because this one has few inputs? The CD input for example, can be used for just about anything except a turntable.
I Have A Tube Pre-Amp Which I Like To Use And Just Want To Use The AMP Section Of The Monoprice 50 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth and Line Output.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I see. Then you can take the output from your preferred pre-amp, connect it to the CD inputs on the Monoprice amp and there you go. Just adjust the volume control on the MP amp about 2/3-3/4 to max and use your preferred pre-amp to control the volume. The only reason I can imagine you'd want to do this is for more inputs. The pre-amp in the MP unit cannot be bypassed for use as a power amp only. Ideally, get 2 dedicated mono-block tube power amps or one stereo tube amp.

May 6, 2020
I see. Then you can take the output from your preferred pre-amp, connect it to the CD inputs on the Monoprice amp and there you go. Just adjust the volume control on the MP amp about 2/3-3/4 to max and use your preferred pre-amp to control the volume. The only reason I can imagine you'd want to do this is for more inputs. The pre-amp in the MP unit cannot be bypassed for use as a power amp only. Ideally, get 2 dedicated mono-block tube power amps or one stereo tube amp.

YES I know mono-block tube power amps or one stereo tube amp ! So basically You'r Saying Is No Way Using The Monoprice For a Stand Alone AMP Correct.

Can I Use This Amp As A Headphone AMP ?

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Correct. The Monoprice unit is NOT a stand-alone POWER AMP. You can't bypass it's pre-amp. Regarding use as a headphone amp, sure but not advisable. Just don't crank it up all the way! Check the impedance of your headphones. For example, 600 ohm headphones won't "load" the amp like 30 ohm headphones will. With lower impedance headphones, you run the risk of frying them AND your ears.

If you want to connect a tube preamp that is better than the built in one you want to bypass the built in one. You would have to find the input of the solid state amp and wire RCA jacks directly to it or solder cables directly. You would probably need to remove the bottom of amp to do this.

To use it as a headphone amp you would have to connect them to the speaker terminals. A headphone extension cable with one end stripped to bare wire would work. As mentioned you could easily blow most headphones especially low impedance ones.

Solution

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I've actually done that with integrated amps - internally bypassing to use the power amp section and installing the necessary inputs. It's not for everyone; a daunting task for most (generally speaking) and easier said than done, depending on circuit topology. That's why I didn't even consider to recommend it. Although it's fairly easy to recognize the different stages (pwr supply, pre-amp-left and right, power amp-left and right), I would recommend obtaining a schematic as well if this task would be considered. Would it be worth it? Maybe, maybe not. If considered, be careful if powering up with the circuitry exposed, as the voltages present for the tubes can be as high as 400 volts with some amps.

Last edited: