Solved! Add a VGA monitor to laptop thru HDMI KVM

Feb 15, 2021
I use a KVM switch so I can toggle between work and home computer. I currently use one external monitor but want to add an old VGA monitor to current configuration as inexpensively as possible. My KVM switch has no open HDMI ports so a VGA to HDMI converter won't do the trick. Is there a way to connect my two monitors with some type of splitter or, should I just pull the trigger and upgrade my KVM hardware? All suggestions are appreciated.

Solution
Unless you want the monitors to show you the same thing with a splitter, you need a dual monitor KVM. Which means you also need dual video out on the laptop. If you are adding a new connection type you then need to start buying converters. If your monitor is HDMI you may be better off just buying a second HDMI monitor, you can get a used one for pretty cheap depending on the size if you don't want to spend $100 on a new one.

You should list exactly what you are using, there is no way for anyone to know what connections you have on the KVM or the laptop to use for a second screen.
Unless you want the monitors to show you the same thing with a splitter, you need a dual monitor KVM. Which means you also need dual video out on the laptop. If you are adding a new connection type you then need to start buying converters. If your monitor is HDMI you may be better off just buying a second HDMI monitor, you can get a used one for pretty cheap depending on the size if you don't want to spend $100 on a new one.

You should list exactly what you are using, there is no way for anyone to know what connections you have on the KVM or the laptop to use for a second screen.

Solution
Feb 15, 2021
My current KVM has 2 HDMI input ports and a single HDMI output. The laptop and PC have one (each) HDMI port. Neither my laptop or PC have dual video out. My intention is to "toggle" between the laptop and PC as needed with the display from whichever on 2 external monitors, with extended display. I do not intend to send output from the laptop to one monitor and output from the PC to the secondary simultaneously. My current monitor has an HDM I interface and the other is a VGA. Any additional advice is appreciated. Thanks

My current KVM has 2 HDMI input ports and a single HDMI output. The laptop and PC have one (each) HDMI port. Neither my laptop or PC have dual video out. My intention is to "toggle" between the laptop and PC as needed with the display from whichever on 2 external monitors, with extended display. I do not intend to send output from the laptop to one monitor and output from the PC to the secondary simultaneously. My current monitor has an HDM I interface and the other is a VGA. Any additional advice is appreciated. Thanks

Right, if you want to use dual monitors off that KVM you need a dual monitor KVM, cost for a decent quality one starts at a bit over $100 https://www.amazon.com/Port-Dual-Monitor-Switch-HDMI/dp/B07KN4J2XD/ref=asc_df_B08DKX9SQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475692076734&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5118591525350651615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001834&hvtargid=pla-992639567959&th=1

You will also need to buy a video card to enable a second HDMI output from the computers. USB one is fine for basic use, the desktop you can get an internal video card or another of the USB ones. The better USB 3 adapters are about $50 but are more reliable and have less issues than the cheaper stuff https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6HBJOA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01C6HBJOA&pd_rd_w=znplL&pf_rd_p=cbc856ed-1371-4f23-b89d-d3fb30edf66d&pd_rd_wg=8KTgE&pf_rd_r=WGR89HJV8WRR1KB1AH7B&pd_rd_r=1ea5832a-5efa-4565-920a-cde2a0409deb&smid=A3HIHADV23VGU1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFaR1RXMjZUN0xHSjAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NDczNjQxS1RFUlgyMkxNRFpOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMzgxMTIxREtBVzBKTDZXUEJTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You're looking at about a $200+ cost for this.

You also said it's a VGA monitor in the title, so you need an active adapter from HDMI to VGA on two of the ports. Really would be easier to just get another monitor with HDMI, they are cheap used.

Last edited: