Question MSI GE76 Raider TB4 to Displayport does not detect monitor

Mar 2, 2023
I am using an MSI GE76 Raider laptop with a thunderbolt4 with displayport capability. There is also an HDMI and mini displayport connection but if I am reading correctly the TB4 to DP is the best quality option. I have a Gigabyte G24F 2 monitor that has a DP so I purchased a TB4 to DP cable. The monitor works with HDMI, the TB4 port works, at least it powers and transmits standard USB information. I have set the MSI graphics to hybrid and not discrete (which I read disables the DP). However, when I connect the monitor using this cable, no signal is recognized.

My questions are:
  1. Is the cable not suitable? I am using this one.
  2. Is the mini DP better or will it give me the best graphics? In the laptop user guide the TB4 says, "Thunderbolt™ 4 supports USB4, PCIe, HDMI, DisplayPort connection; 8K display monitor output; up to 40Gbps transfer rate." but the miniDP says, "The Mini-DisplayPort is a miniaturized version of the DisplayPort, with a suitable adapter, the Mini-DisplayPort may be used to drive displays with a VGA, DVI or HDMI interface" I took this to mean that the miniDP does not support the higher quality display capabilities but perhaps that is not true?
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I have done some searching and can not find the answer to my questions.