Add two monitors to laptop with HDMI and VGA output - can it happen?

rowebil

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have a Aspire here with a decent video card! I am upgrading the RAM - and I heard it does do a big difference with the graphics on this model! Radeon 7640G - I already tested it with one external TV and it worked fantastic with flight simulator on high settings!
Just wait for the RAM upgrade! Someone wrote a review on this laptop on Amazon specifying upgrading the RAM has done a great difference with the graphics score.

So I want to do that, and I also want to add TWO monitors! They wouldn't be used for gaming - just for productivity.

I would want to use the laptop display and the two monitors on each side.

However, could it be possible to do this? I would extend the displays to all three displays. I know AMD's software allows this but I'm not sure with the wiring setup, and what to look for?

Could I buy a HDMI two to one cable (not sure the proper name, I know we use them for DVR setups - octopus cables) and hook that up to my laptop and then it would see ALL three displays?

OR do I need to buy a box, hook that into my HDMI or VGI output, and then hook in the two monitors to the box?

I am tech savvy (taking computer maintenance in college and it is boring because I haven't learned anything new and I'm done almost with a bachelors), but this I am not too sure on. I know with a desktop, you could do it if it had the number of outputs, etc. But I am not sure with laptops so this will be a learning experience!

I hope to get some helpful advice!

rdailey

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Just curious how you have them working? I am only able to get one external display plus the monitor at one time. Are you using a splitter? I have a VGA screen and HDMI external monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paulo Triebsees

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

What's the graphics card on your laptop ? What laptop ?
Thnx

Robin Roppo

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015

Hi Luke,
Would love your reco...I am on a Dell Inspiron 13, 7000 series. No VGA or DVI, only HDMI on the laptop (and 3 USBs, of which mouse & keyboard are using 2). I purchased a Belkin HDMI to Dual VGA Adapter, but can't get both screens to work either. I have an Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card.

Monitor A has VGA & DVI
Monitor B has VGA & DVI, & HDMI