Question Added new SSD keep laptop shutting down

Jan 16, 2022
Hi, I bought a Silicon Power A55 SSD for my laptop yesterday. My laptop is a Lenovo z580. I saved Windows to flash to insert it into the SSD. I opened the laptop, took out the old hard drive and inserted the SSD. When I start the laptop it runs for 2-5 minutes and shuts down. When I restore the old hard drive the laptop works normally. I tried the SSD on another laptop and it works normally. If you need any more information, I'm here. What could be the problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
At any point, did you actually install Windows (by booting from the USB drive) onto the SSD?

See here:

Jan 16, 2022
At any point, did you actually install Windows (by booting from the USB drive) onto the SSD?

See here:

No, because installation start and after one, two minutes laptop goes off. Also, I sucessfully insert same SSD into another laptop and install windows 10 on SSD. But on my laptop when I put SSD my laptop cant work more that 2 minutes. And when I put back hard disk everything is fine

Jan 16, 2022
When you power on, can you manually select the USB drive to boot from to begin the installation process? Do you get that far?

Also, assuming you can access the BIOS, is the SSD properly recognized by the system?
Yeah, I can manually select. SSD ic recognized by the system. Also laptop goes off even when Im in BIOS. No windows logo just black screen and power off, like when you are using laptop on battery without charger and remove it

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suppose the Lenovo could have some sort of compatibility issue with that particular make/model SSD. I have only used that brand once before in a budget desktop rig for a co-worker.

Do you know if there is a BIOS upgrade available for your laptop? If so, try updating the BIOS and see if that makes a difference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Can I somehow check compatibillity? Laptop is Lenovo Z580 and SSD is Silicon Power A55
Ask Lenovo for a definite answer. I am only guessing as you said the SSD works fine elsewhere and not in the Lenovo. The SSD is a standard SATA storage device and should work like any other SATA storage device. Only variable is the make/model itself.

You can also look here:

https://www.silicon-power.com/web/compatibility