Added Outlet Powerline Fail

Clane912

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I have a circuit in a movie room with xb1, computer, firetv, projector, etc. I mounted my projector on the ceiling and installed an outlet (running off of middle outlet on circuit) to the ceiling. All outlets work great but now the power line basically doesn’t work. Gets Ethernet and poweline lights, flickering like data being used, but my Xbox fails to connect to Xbox live. Could my new outlet mess up the whole circuit? It worked like a dream before.
Thanks

Solution

Trust me I'm an engineer that worked for SquareD designing high current circuit breakers.
I don't mess around with electricity because I don't like being around open circuits that can harm me.
I let the experienced shop guys actually touch the wires.

I was just trying to communicate the worst...

Clane912

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

First off, I will check the ground wire and make sure it didn't come loose when closing up the box. Secondly, I am not going to burn down the house and that comment isn't even remotely helpful. I appreciate your candor, but maybe pump the brakes a little.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Trust me I'm an engineer that worked for SquareD designing high current circuit breakers.
I don't mess around with electricity because I don't like being around open circuits that can harm me.
I let the experienced shop guys actually touch the wires.

I was just trying to communicate the worst possible outcome, because it is possible to make mistakes if you don't do wiring everyday for a living. The breaker might be overloaded, the wires in your house may be overloaded or old. There may be a loose connection that may cause a spark.

An electrician has the right tools to test that the new circuit is okay. He can also help track down the source of the network failure. There may be noise in the line coming from an unknown source that you will never be able to find without a circuit analysis tester. It was probably there all the time, but the new circuit pushed it to the point where it wont work anymore. After the electrician comes in your network should be better than ever.

Good Luck, I'm done with the safety lesson.

Solution