SurpriseSlayer1

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
So my friend, who is not a PC person AT ALL, decided to buy a new laptop for gaming, he is the cheapest of the cheapest, and bought a laptop for 600. It didn't have a gpu, which you need for gaming. He gets terrible fps. He doesn't want to buy a new laptop, so is there any way he can get an external gpu? Or something to replace the horrible Intel graphics? Thanks!

StarChief

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015
You cannot change or upgrade a GPU in a laptop, very few models have upgradable GPUs and those are the expensive gaming ones. Your friend is stuck with what he has, unless he buys a whole new laptop that is.

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Yes! Kinda... Depends on his laptop. He can get a laptop to external video card dock. It requires a power supply and also needs you to have an available Mini PCI-E slot.

Other than that, nope. Not really. Unless his laptop supports MXM, which I doubt...

That's what he gets for being cheap I'm afraid!

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
No, external graphics cards don't work very well -- sorry, your friend is SOL. Why? Because USB 2 and USB 3 simply don't have the appropriate bandwidth/throughput available to them when compared to PCIe. Even if you could use two Thunderbolt connections, it's still not as capable as PCIe.
Your friend is better off not being so thrift. You get what you pay for.