Adding SSD to brand new laptop

wesellboxes

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
New here so not sure where it should go, sorry if its in the wrong place.

I have just purchased a new Lenovo Z500 which comes with Windows 8 pre-installed on a 1tb hard drive. I have a 128gb SSD and a optical bay caddy that I want to install into the machine which I will have no problems doing.

What I would like to do is move the factory hard drive into the caddy and use the SSD as my primary drive.

My concern in installing Windows 8 onto the SSD without a product key as it is pre-installed onto the machine. I haven't even opened the box for this yet, but will I have any problems with the activation process and how do I go about getting W8 onto the SSD without a retail CD?

Thanks in advace

RealBeast

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
First run the free Belarc Advisor from HERE to get your key and never lose it, and then see if you can download an ISO image from MS using that activation key. Activation should be no problem once you have the key and media.

wesellboxes

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Thanks, I have tried using my key to download an ISO but its displaying "this product key cannot be used on a retail copy of Windows 8"

Could I possible "mirror" the HDD onto the SSD and go from there? How would I go about doing this?

RealBeast

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Sure, I clone drives all the time -- yesterday cloned an old 80GB Intel SSD to a nice new 250GB Samsung, but I never do any factory restore partitions.

I use Norton Ghost 15, but many programs work, including EaseUS Todo, True IMage, and Clonezilla to name a few.

You biggest issue not having an install disk is that you will want the recovery partition in addition to the SRP and C drive.

Before you start, make or buy a full set of Lenovo recovery disks and make a system repair disc (there is a wizard for that if you type it in the program search box for that repair disk, it comes in handy when changing disks).

This is a bit more tricky that Windows 7 since there is an additional ~15GB Lenovo restore file, plus the 200MB system reserve partition (SRP) and then whatever size the C drive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 1
Z Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 4
aforce66 Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
U Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 3
jimmulvaney Laptop Tech Support 3