Admit It: You Really Want To be Controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Apple? Why? Nah, I think I shall think for myself, so much more fun, here is some biodegradable lube, stick your Apple where the Sun doesn't shine.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
What a stupid, deliberate troll bait of an article.

Author is a drama queen; it's a goddamn phone. If you don't like it or Apple's practices, get Android, or Windows Phone, or better yet, no phone at all. But please, making RIDICULOUS claims that frickin CELL PHONE threatens democracy.

GET REAL.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Another reason not to get anything from Apple. Though, this kind of control is becoming a general trend now... Ah well, at least Android can be prevented from doing that =)

G

"Apple is generally deciding what is good for you and what not. In my opinion, this is a level of control that has reached dangerous proportions and threatens the very basic concept of democracy."

I found that part the most interesting as I sit here in the silicon valley. Home of Apple. Here we have areas where you can not buy your kid a happy meal because the ruling Democrats decided that parents were making bad choices and should not have that choice. Many people out here want the government to do as Apple does and make those choices for the people and enforce them. Forcing people to make decisions they feel is good, like forcing them to buy healthcare. I wonder if Apple's approach is a product of the culture it is surrounded by.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nobody bashes Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft for only allowing licensed games on their consoles.
Fact is that this sort of control can improve the user experience.

I own an iPad 2 and I certainly see the downsides of Apples approach, but the upside are tons of quality apps, piece of mind and a great user experience.
This is not about freedom of choice or about the "very basic concept of democracy" (are u serious?), it's about choosing the device that best fits your needs.

This would be a different story if Apple had a monopoly on smartphones or tablets, but that's not the case.

btw: If Apple ever started to "wall in" Macintosh OS, they'd be dead to me. But phones and tablets are a completely different thing.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Microsoft allows anything on Windows =) And if they don't, it's easy to fix =) But the issue here isn't that, the issue is that Apple is trying to justify something which they didn't need to do at all. Nintendo/Sony/MS only allow licensed games because they want to make profit, and that's legal. Tracking people's movements is not.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i choose to simplify my life by not getting too much involved in making choices on trivial matters. do you really choose the brand of fertilizers that go into your food? there are more significant choices in life than choosing what brand of smartphone to buy.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
roflmao... what nonsense. First, you CAN choose your food if you live in certain areas of the world. Second, don't compare that and choosing a gadget that suits you.

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
The closed apple format works for some, not for everyone- that's why we have choices to simply choose a different product.

I have children and a wife that struggle to learn how a fancy front loading washer works, so apples simple, easy to learn, closed groundwork, makes some of thier products work for me.

Thier are choices, coexist.

Get something else if apple is ruining your life.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I actually feel more stupid for having read this article. It looks like it was written by a 4chan user trying to troll the readers. Really Tom's, what the hell...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]I actually feel more stupid for having read this article. It looks like it was written by a 4chan user trying to troll the readers. Really Tom's, what the hell...[/citation]
+1

Awful article. As long as the alternatives are as good or better than Apple I'll just support the alternatives. There's market share for all.

If I were to compare Jobs with Apple and Gates with Microsoft I'd spot that Jobs is far more creative and much more legit with competitors. Let's not forget that Microsoft hardware is also overpriced and made in China.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I think this article is more about what cell phone you choose..what the future in technology has in store for us, our open-source freedom will be in huge danger

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
What was the point in this article? If you are bent about the way Apple does things don't buy their products. Seem like ranting to me... Lame!!!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Read the title, decided it wasn't worth reading.

Honestly Tom's, this kind of opinion articles should be marked as such or better yet, put it in a special blog section.

G

How many people know the difference between a maintenance free car battery and a "maintainable" car battery?

Here's the difference: you cannot add water to a "maintenance free" battery even if that is all it needs. You have to buy another battery. Some freedom.

Just another example of Newspeak marketing. Dig a little deeper when someone is offering you freedom and you will find that they are actually offering to control something for you. In the case of the battery, it is operational options.

Status
Not open for further replies.