News Adobe has killed off Flash -- what to do now

So it appears that Adobe Flash has been removed, but I'm unable to delete the folders from my drive. Each folder (and included files) were created by "TrustedInstaller" and cannot be removed, even by an Admin of the system. I tried taking ownership of the files and folders, only to be greeted by the same error message, except that MY admin account needed access to the folders.

-Wolf sends

Jan 2, 2021
Research shows that 99% of internet users don't have Flash installed on their computers
From the linked article:
To get the best out of the web you will need Flash. Research shows that around 99% of internet users now have it.

That's quite a typo.
Also, neither article cites the alleged "research" they are referencing.
Bad journalism is bad and you should be ashamed.

Jan 3, 2021
Hey Wolf,

Had the same issue - after hours of banging my head against the wall - I think I did it. There is probably a much easier way but I could not find it (I do not trust the old "download this super powerful free uninstaller tips). Anyway.

I found all the folders and had the same response - not able to delete which freaked me out - I mean hey get rid of Flash due to security issues but then you cannot get rid of these folders or files from my own computer - suspect to say the least. That is why I took the time to find this.

First I ran the adobe uninstaller - which as you found - did NOT actually remove everything.
  1. Note all the Flash folders.
  2. Run an elevated command prompt "cmd" (as administrator)
  3. Navigate to each noted flash folder and "takeown" every file in each folder syntax for this is "takeown /f filename.ext" from within the directory. (You can get them all at once by doing "star<dot>star" - Tom's will not let me type in an actual star for some reason). You should get a message success for each file.
  4. You will not be able to delete from cmd (I think because you have not changed the permissions yet).
  5. Exit the cmd prompt.
  6. Go back to the folder in file explorer and you should be able to change permissions (right click on the file name) for each file by security tab in properties - you have to click on Users and edit then again on Users and "edit" to be able to manually set the users permission to full. I am sure you can also set this at the folder level in advanced settings and force inheritance down the file structure but I just did it file by file to savor the victory one deletion at a time.
  7. Go back to the file you just changed and you should be able to delete it.
Hope this helps.

Buh bye 2020 and buh bye Flash.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021
Hi Wolf.
I had the same issue a few years back. I posted an article and code that automates the unlocking process. It wasn't my work, but I added to it. It's for Win10 and the comments I made are about the old Edge browser. (I need to get back and edit it a bit for the latest info). The article I wrote is for my own info really as each time I visit a new machine to fix for friends etc I need the batch file.
It's helped a few people. If you don't want to copy & paste the code I have a link to the download, but you'll need to right click and save because clicking it in most browsers that are at all serious about security in their settings will block .bat files.

Rees

Mod Edit - PM for the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Loopygram

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Adobe has finally ended support of Flash, and is recommending users uninstall it immediately.

Adobe has killed off Flash -- what to do now : Read more
To get rid of the files and folders for flash you need a little program called Unlocker. It's free. I used it yesterday and it works.