Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 not using even 50% of CPU at a given time.

AyyMemento

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I've been getting back into content creation lately and i'm at a stage where I would like to begin to speed up my export times and I just noticed that my CPU usage is pretty low when rendering.

I render 720p and 1080p 60FPS videos yet only utilizes around 40% of my CPU a majority of the time. It then sometimes spikes up to 60-70+% but never 90-100%

I tried setting Premiere's priority to high in the task manager however I have experienced any improvement in doing so by someone's recommendation. Are there any solutions or is it still a problem with every machine that isn't a mac?

I am rendering right now and it's currently taking around two and a half hours to render a ten
minute 1080p 60FPS video.

As for my hardware, i'm running an i7 4790 (not unlocked) @ 3.60 GHz, 32GBs of DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz and an OEM GPU that I have yet to upgrade. The GTX 745 I believe.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
How much RAM do you have right now? One thing that might help some, depending on its settings, Under Edit -> Preferences -> Memory.... It will tell you how much RAM you have, how much RAM Premier Pro is set to have available for it, and how much is available for other apps. (The more for Premier, the better, when it comes to speed.)

The more RAM you have, the more CPU cores you have, (the more Cuda or OpenCL cores?), the amount of free disk space for scratch files, and what type/speed of drive will have an impact.

AyyMemento

Prominent
May 2, 2017

I'm rocking the 32GB of DDR3 right now, I believe I have Premiere set to use 24GB or so, (Can't check for another 40 minutes as Premiere is rendering right now) but yeah, I did configure these settings quite recently along with After Effects. It really makes me wish that Premiere had the same CPU utilization options as After Effects where I can isolate my physical cores instead of having it utilize virtualized cores. I'm not sure if I should bump up the total to 28GB, 30GB etc. for Premiere to utilize.

As for free disk space, I do only have around 300GB left in my hard drive, so that might be an issue, along with the fact that i'm still running a hard drive. I was going to do a few minor upgrades to this rig including an SSD and a better GPU, but beyond that i'm trying to stay away from major upgrades as this rig will just because a dedicated streaming and editing/rendering machine when I build my new one.