Adobe to Apple: Let the Games Begin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
If Steve Jobs had his way, he'd control the Universe and everything in it.

Come on, who are you kidding. If Adobe had their way, they would want control of the universe also. And so would you.

@ Jabberwolf
Apple is practicing antitrust and against anti-competitive laws.
ITS ILLEGAL !!

Where do you draw the line between an operating system that is required to support everything, vs a proprietary OS that is just good for what it does. Would you call my coffeemaker's manufacturer anticompetitive for not allowing flash on the OS its B/W LCD display? Sounds stupid, but you get my point. The only reason Microsoft opened up a bit was that they found it was in their long-term financial interests to do so.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]If Steve Jobs had his way, he'd control the Universe and everything in it.[/citation]
all he is trying to do is protect his investment. i don't think that's a bad thing

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jabberwolf[/nom]Apple is practicing antitrust and against anti-competitive laws.ITS ILLEGAL !!They are allowing some vendors on their OS while prohibiting others ... by actually creating sabotage code and going out of their way to prohibit that vendor.Imagine if Microsoft tried to ban flash from Windows !!!! I'm not talking about "not supporting" but actively prohibiting it.[/citation]
The difference between Apple and Microsoft is, that Apple doesn't have a monopoly they could abuse.
iOS has less than 50% of the mobile OS market and nobody forces you to buy an Apple smartphone or tablet.
Microsoft however has a monopoly on desktop OSs. Proprietary MS Office file formats, proprietary DirectX and a lot of other anticompetitive practices keep users from switching to Linux or Mac.
It's a miracle that no anti trust regulators have done anything about MS Office. MS has some pretty good lawyers.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
@keepdreaming... yeah it's a pipe dream, probably won't happen, it's just my thoughts is all... microsoft are cozying up to adobe right now but any merger between those two would be very difficult as it would give microsoft complete control not only of the desktop o.s. (apple aside, ms still have a 90% or so share of the desktop market) but also of the top 6 (possibly more i can't remember) selling apps on the pc platform... if u think microsoft have come in for some stick regards monopolies to-date, they'd get some serious heat if they merged with adobe...!

as far as google, i'm not sure what they'd get from it, they have no vested interest in adobe's survival like ms and apple do..

your also probably right with regard to the average mac guy's ability to pirate, but for whatever reason, the fact remains that the mac versions are far less pirated and therefore as a market equally lucrative to adobe..!

and surely, no software company on earth would actually agree with piracy... period..!

G

Apple's main idea is to protect it's developers. Any one from India or Pakistan can do the same app in Flash for less than 100 USD. They don't want their platform to be controlled by something else even though it is internet standard.

G

@mofnet

MS does not need to out right buy adobe, they only need enough shares in adobe to make life uncomfortable for an Apple acquisition, same goes for Google, it's in their interest to ensure the likes of Apple do not attempt to kill it off through a hostile take over (Google currently do in particular because a great selling point of android is flash support)

The majority of software companies do no agree with piracy, but when you got iteration of iteration (CS5 that means at least 5 iteration of CS already not counting pre CS) each one bringing in new features, not everyone can afford to constantly upgrade, and then there is the fresh from uni who dont got a dime to their name but needs screen time with the app so they can be competitive in the labor market, trust me on this one, the big Mega corps turn a blind eye to that kind of piracy, it ensures that people knows only how to use their software in the corporate world, and the corporate world drives the majority of sales, sure there are a few nutty enthusiast that purchase their software but really the money is in the corporate arena

ask any professional media producer in the back room how he acquired his Photoshop skills, those that are honest will say on a bootlegged version, it's the one time where piracy does drive sales for the software companies

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I am for anything that gets rid of Flash and PDF plugins. They cause major slow downs on even a decent system. May HTML5 prevail !!!

G

O this childish bicker can go on for ages. I see it as this. Apple is a hardware company trying to sell it's software version of Linux or Safari. Adobe is a software company that is trying to press a very resource hungry flash. HTML5 is still in it's infancy and there is nothing really exciting about it.

Apple is just making mistakes just like how fire wire was on all apple products. Just like only having one button on it's mouse. I believe in the end Apple is loosing out on revenue from Adobe and missing out on that income to fix the iphone 4 and it's line of products. Their hardware products are stellar in my opinion the iphone and ipod are very iconic.

G

Anyone who wants to see why Apple doesn't have flash support on their mobile devices can go purchase the new Samsung tablet. As soon as you enable flash support the samsung grinds to a halt, locks up, and the browser slows to a crawl.

Flash and mobile devices are a bad pairing, Adobe doesn't seem to care enough to undertake the re-writing of flash that would be required for the new world of smartphones and tablets.

Apple isn't anti-flash, you can run and develop in flash on all of their computer devices, but their mobile devices don't support it, and looking at the phones and tablets that do support flash, and how crapulent it is, I can see why.

http://www.overoll.com/Content/Adobe-Flash-for-Samsungs-Google-Tab-is-an-embarrassing-disaster-/2010/11/12/394974.news

G

Flash is cool and rules the net, while Apple is getting a bad reputation for being a fucked up nazi company.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Here's the thing: the more attention you give to Apple, the more they enjoy it. So why mention Apple unnecessarily? You're just giving Apple more airtime in the media, that's all.

treyking11

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I'd like to see adobe as retaliation make the next vertion of photoshop/premiere noncompatable with mac... or delayed for mac 4-5 mnths so all the people who need the latest photoshop for thier industry to switch to windows... claim it took longer to develop the software for the mac[/citation]
uh, yeah... do you think they would really cut off their nose to spite their face? you think they make the CS suites for you PC users? really??? Adobe knows the (mac) users that pay $2500 per license for their seemingly yearly releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS