Ads Appearing on Xbox Live NXE Dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I haven't seen any ads in the United States and they shouldn't be having ads. But if they did it seems like you don't have to watch the ad just go to the next blade or whatever they call it now.
Atleast they don't force you to watch the ad but seriously I think they get enough money from us that they woudn't need them.

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
*turns on ps3* i don't see these said ads or payed service.

kidding psn and xbox live both suck. the only pure service is for us PC users.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I have noticed ads occasionally, and I'm in the States, but most are the ones you're used to seeing, more for the various things on sale in the marketplace or special promo offers or events, things like that. Now, there are endorsements I've noticed from time to time, where it's just a regular marketplace ad for an event, but it's sponsored by company X. I was OK with placing ads in the games like on billboards and stuff, but putting them on the dashboard just for connecting to Xbox Live is like punching your customers in the face after they just payed you money for a service.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Those types of ads have been on Xbox Live since the Xbox 360 came out. With the NXE the ads have been made more prominent. On a sde not to correct the Author, Xbox Live is a free service, paying for Xbox Live lets you play games online but even if you don't pay for it you will still see these ads.

G

I haven't seen them on NXE yet, but in 1 vs 100 we get bombarded with Sprint ads and some for Honda. Actually, the entire 1 vs 100 takes place in the "Sprint Theater", or something like that. There you are also shown Spring signs and slogan on the virtual hall way that is shows you as you log into the game.

If you have to have ads, though, that is the way to do it -- integrated into the environment.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I don't care about the ads... As long as Microsoft continues to deliver what Sony can do in this current market...

As for all the Sony lovers, you get what you pay for!

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I live in the states myself and i can tell you one thing if i ever see any kind of ad on my Xbox live I will cancel and demand all my money back form Xbox live ill go with out im already paying them $50 year to get the servic e so i shouldn't have to put up with any Ads Promo's for xblox live deals are ok but like if i a Nike ad shows up ill be getting my money back

ROfu

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Firstly i agree with a comment made earlier - What all "Gold" subscribers are paying for is NOT the NXE dashboard or being able to used dashboard based Live features, this has alwasy been free with the "Silver" membership. The "GOLD" membership you pay for is for the servers/services related to online gameing and nothing else (which personally If it means subsidising servers that run games we all enjoy then 50bux a year isnt a killer - you pay more for online RPG subscriptions on PC).

The biggest point why this kind of advertising is offensive, is its using your bandwidth without permission - There are no options to turn off these adverts so every time you connect to live some of your bandwidth is being used to stream these adverts (granted its very little but still cheeky).

If they put the option to turn off these adverts (maybe just for Gold members?) then this would fall into the same setup as most popular gaming websites where you pay a small subscription for a year with exclusive content and no adverts, or as a regular user you get spammed with adverts and popups as this is how internet buisnesses are subsidised.

It's naive to think this would never happen. I think Battlefield 2142 had some of the first ingame banner adverts, and they didn't affect the game in any real way. I would prefer to have the odd advert popping up, if it helps keep Xbox Live as good as it currently is and allow it to continue to develope with massive updates like NXE.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
What people are forgetting as the poster above me and someone earlier said you are not paying to access Xbox Live. You are paying for the right to play games online. While it may not seem like it they are two different and unrelated services.

G

It's like paying for DirectTV or Comcast and then watching commercials 50% of the time... oh wait i do, damn

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Adverts have been part of Microsoft's plan from the beginning, and while I've not seen generic one's yet... they've been advertising their own games and services since the beginning. I think a lot of the clutter of the 360 gui is directly to support this.

On the PS3, all the adverts are isolate in areas that are very easy to avoid/ignore... Microsoft obviously wanted to make them difficult to avoid so they're all over the place, positioned in areas that you HAVE to access.

IMO it's the biggest reason the 360 GUI is such a poor interface compared to the PS3... complexity that adds nothing positive to the user experience, simply a tool to deliver unavoidable advertising.

I see the 360 design as the Grocery Store approach... they purposely put the things you want to get as FAR AWAY from the entrance as possible so you have to walk by all the crap they want to sell to get to it. The PS3 was designed by someone who actually wants you to be able to get at content as quickly and easily as possible, which is a refreshing change. Of course I expect that will change if MS has any success with selling advertising... Sony's never been one to neglect a potential revenue stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.