Advice for Headset in college

RoundishCrab4

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hi everyone!
I'm going off to college soon and was thinking about getting a gaming headset. I have a nice pair of headphones and a Blue Yeti currently as my setup, but in college I don't want to bring the blue yeti and think an all in one combo would be better. Obviously the quality would not be nearly as good but I wanted to get your guys' opinion. The Hyper X Cloud 2 keeps showing up but the mic on that thing seems pretty bad. I don't plan on spending much greater than 100 if I can. Thanks!

Solution
Should work fine with a modmic. If you are on a budget you could buy a generic flex or lapel mic on amazon/ebay for cheap. They are decent enough for clear communication though usually aren't the most rugged.

MystoPigz

Estimable
May 14, 2015
The HyperX Cloud/2 and Logitech G35 gaming headsets are both good gaming headsets under $100. The mic problem about the HyperX Cloud 2 you see in reviews is not that bad; it is just a bit on the low volume side. But, the mic on the Logitech G35 is better.

-MystoPigz

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Are you gonna bring the headphones with you? If so why not just spend a little money on a detachable mic and use your current headphones. Otherwise the Cloud 2 would be my personal pick for a budget headset.

RoundishCrab4

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

For sure. I use them for video editing as well so they're my go to for that. Currently I use them for gaming and love them. I was thinking about getting a detachable mic but wasn't sure if anyone else had experience with them. Do you have any suggestions? EDIT: Just found the ModMic 4.0 seems to be the best one on the market. Not sure if you recommend any others.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

Detachable mics are good if you don't mind the extra cable. If you want something cheap check out the zalman mic1.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444682742&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+mic

It's not the best mic in the world, but it's cheap and it works. If you want something that is better then the antlion modmic is my goto. It's $50 and it's good quality. At $50 though, you might consider the blue snowball. Not detachable, but is good quality. It really just depends on how nice you want your mic to be.

AppleFillet

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
The Zalman clip mic is working pretty good for me after 1 year of use, as it clips to my keyboard wire and stays put. Im using ath-m50xs and the combo works great, for $6 the Zalman is a pretty solid offer.

My friends can hear me and i can hear them, they also dont complain about my mic even though they all have better and more expensive mics, they are the ones with mic difficulties and problems. Im very suprised in the quality of the mic though. I would recommend it

RoundishCrab4

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Gotcha. Think I might just go with the midmic. I already have the Blue Yeti so which is why I'm getting the detachable microphone in the first place. Thanks!

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Should work fine with a modmic. If you are on a budget you could buy a generic flex or lapel mic on amazon/ebay for cheap. They are decent enough for clear communication though usually aren't the most rugged.

Solution

RoundishCrab4

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I see. I think I'm just gonna go with the mod mic. I'd like the quality even if it's a little more expensive. Thank you!