Advice on choosing compact camera

vlahka

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
I hope I've posted this in the right place. I'm planning to buy one as a gift and I'm just after something thats not too tricky, has a good fast autofocus, and obviously good video and picture quality. I've had a few cameras and by far one of my all time favourites was the Lumix TZ3. It had a godly zoom on it, took pictures instantly and really nice, including fast moving objects would come out perfect, no blur or anything. It was an amazing camera.

Some of the ones I'm looking at right now are the--

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3
Nikon Coolpix S9100
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30
Canon PowerShot G11

At the moment all I can go by is reviews but it would be great for people who have any of these and can compare them to each other or similar/better things. Like I mentioned before ease of use and being able to take a picture without it blurring if its moving quickly would be best. The TZ3 is one of the few cameras I could point at my ceiling fan and take a picture with it in auto mode and the fan would look like it wasnt moving. Its another reason I was looking at the new TZ30 though I've read the picture quality isnt as good as it should be. But as I mentioned, ease of use, pretend the person is 2 and NEEDS it in auto mode, good picture and video quality. A nice zoom would be awesome but you cant have everything.

If you know of any others I should look up I'd be grateful for the info. Thanks for any help.

ElectronicsFan72

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
You should take a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20, as it has 20x zoom and excellent picture quality for a nice price. A few other options to consider: the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS and the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V.