Advise on selling old MSI gaming laptop

XenonSupreme

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Hi,

I have a 4 year old MSI GE60 0ND-257US "gaming" laptop that I'm finally looking to get rid of.
It's fairly snappy and can still handle light gaming and photo/video editing.

Fairly old hardware:

• Intel Quad-Core Core i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 2GB VRAM
    15.6 inch 1920x1080 pixel matte display
    8GB of DDR3 1600MHz
    750GB HDD @7200RPM
    UPGRADED with an additional Crucial MX200 250GB SSD through the mSATA interface (less than 6 TB write usage / total rated 80TB, so fairly new)

Condition:

• The extremely glossy plastic chassis is full of visible scratches, but it's in solid condition.
    A couple keyboard keys have some visible wear, nothing serious.
    Battery's sorta dead.
    Fan was replaced two years ago with original part from manufacturer.
    Everything else is functional.

Do I have a hope of selling this thing? If so, how much should I hope for?
And how should I go about selling it? eBay?
Also, would it get me anything at trade-in programs like Microsoft Store's for example?
EDIT: I got it for around $1250 at the time

Thanks,
AO

Solution

Well that's...

constantine_99

Prominent
May 18, 2017

i think selling it on 60-75% of the original price is pretty good coz:
1. it's secondary
2. the surface is not smooth (had some scratches right?)
3. the battery is dead, so the buyer need to either change them, or play near a power source all the time (beats the portability purpose i think)
4. the keyboard was pretty used
5. it's 4 years old

then again, you can always find some price reference from online shops and calculate the price difference between their laptop condition and your laptop condition :D

XenonSupreme

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

WHOA, are you sure about those numbers? :eek: I thought I'd be extremely lucky to get like %35 of the original price back.

And how do you suggest I go about selling it? eBay? Or are there other options?

constantine_99

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Well that's why I say u should find some reference from websites like Amazon, eBay, etc
While my thought are like that, others may have different opinion. I rated your laptop highly coz what I appreciate is the performance, not the physical state, I personally don't really care if it had few scratches so long as the performance is fine, although I remind u once again that people had different thought, that's why u should consider on finding some reference

But if really think that the laptop doesn't worth that much, 25-30% of the main price is good enough
Selling it on amazon or eBay is the best course I think
While it isn't pristine, remember that this laptop is powerful enough to be used as a substitute PC with some external GPU, people could safe a lot of money (i7+1080p res+ external GPU) even without external GPU gtx 660m are pretty good (I really struggled at saving money for a PC so if there's someone who would actually sell a laptop with these specs on a good price at my country, I would've buy it)

Solution