After Win 10 update Laptop Keeps Rebooting

englee1

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi Folks, last night I updated my Nvidia video drivers and then rebooted my laptop to finalize the installation. When rebooting I was prompted to "restart & install updates", which I selected (in hindsight probably a bad idea). The update install took about 10 minutes so I assume it was the Windows 10 anniversary update that was applied.

After the update was completed the machine rebooted by itself, but only to the MSI logo screen.
it stayed there for 3-5 seconds & rebooted again. Now this is all that the laptop will do.

The laptop is a MSI GX680 with a SSD that has the windows installation (been running Win 10 since it's release last year, with no issues). It also has a standard platter storage HD.

I have checked & changed some of the BIOS settings, made no difference. I removed the secondary storage HD, no difference. I cannot boot into safe mode.

I suspect the issue may have been caused by the applying the Windows update on the reboot prior to finalizing the Nvidia driver install?

Right now I have the SSD removed & on my desk in an external enclosure.
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since this is a boot loop, see if the following works.

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

englee1

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

Thanks very much for your response. unfortunately no matter how many times I powered off the laptop, it would never give me any Windows options at all. It's as if Windows no longer exists on the drive or the MBR is corrupt. So I downloaded a Win 10 installation / repair to a bootable USB & tried the "Startup Repair" from this utility, no change. I used the command prompt from the repair USB & ran CHKDSK as well as BOOTREC, no help at all. Even used the partitioning command to verify & activate the proper partition. I think I'm just going to have format this drive & re-install Windows.