Ain't it Tweet

SMONEY

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
My JBL 4333A's are having tweeter trouble. Is this a problem with the crossover? What might be the fix?

<<Edited by moderator. Please don't post in all caps. No need to YELL. Thanks.>>

SMONEY

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
My brother & I both have a pair of the 4333a's and the tweeters are behaving identically. Very low volumn from the tweeters. Have a schematic for the 3133a crossover to guide me. The tweeter is 16 ohm but checks @ 6.1 on meter. If I shunt the c6 capacitor, the tweeter and reastat control on front of cabinet will work just fine, but this bypasses the crossover. I'm not sure what I will do next short of taking the whole cabinet to the repair shop, ouch. Any ideas? Didn't know if this was a pattern failure do to age.

What would the repair shop do? Put in a permanent shunt, replace the c6 capacitor?

Maybe have an open discussion with them and see what trade-offs are available to come up with a permanent working solution.

First see if they agree with your findings/diagnoses - could be correct or perhaps the result of one problem masking another. Something you would not normally be aware of.

And consider the risks and trade-offs of you attempting a permanent repair versus paying them to do it with perhaps some 30 day warranty for parts and labor.