Airport Scanner Sees Phone, Knife; Misses Bomb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
All someone has todo is take 2-3 materials that are worthless by themselves, mix em on the plane and magic. Of course if we want ABSOLUTE safety we should all confine ourselves.......

G

My guess is that none of you have been through Israeli security checks at the airport where you are questioned by an army officer trained to detect psychological clues that your intentions might not be quite good. For lack of a better term, let's give up this bullshit politically correct nonsense and go back to profiling. The FBI and CIA do it all the time to find criminals. What are potential terrorists if not criminals? Muslim country of origin, about 17-40 years old? travelling alone? one-way even?...step to the side please! Everyone else gets a 1-minute pre-screening process as is done in Israel. Enough of this techno-crap that gives you the illusion of security.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
We should take a lesson from the Israel on how to do airport security. First off is to drop the stupid politically correct agenda and start doing common sense measures such as profiling. If your name is Muhammed I am going to check you much closer than than grandma Miller from Ohio. That makes sense but right now the political correctness has our hands tied and blindfolds on security, pure stupidity. If the Muslims don't like, tough.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]A smart airlines would guarantee safety as long as you entered the plane in approved surgical scrubs. And have your baggage go on another plane. It wouldn't be a law, just a good business guaranteeing safety of passengers to make money.[/citation]
Does it come with a reach around?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Israelis don't use racial/religious profiling. They use behavioral profiling. This method is much more effective. The problem is if most of the people who are terrorists do happen to be Muslim, that is who the behavioral profilers will pick out, and therefore, the PC police will cry bloody murder. But it will also pick up on potential Timmothy McVeighs too...

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
If seen the idea of "stupid politically correct agenda" and "go back to profiling" in several posts here and from a friend last night. I doubt that everyone came up with the same idea separately. Is this something being pushed in some TV/radio program?

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]darkpuppet[/nom]a good start ... the israelification of airports.http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ [...] tle-bother[/citation]
Incidentally, it was an israeli company, ICTS intl./I-Sec, doing "security" at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport... where Mutallab "got through" - by some eyewitnesses' claim, even without passport.
Very convenient for the security establishment, another idiot wannabe bomber (remember Reid, the "shoe bomber"?) was available, when the slumping sales of "security" equipment needed it most...
Also, it's good training for the idiot masses, to accept without comment the newest "innovations" of the police state.

whobannedme

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]... If only airport security had some sort of bomb sniffing biological entity. Perhaps something with 4 paws, a tail, and a nose 10,000x more sensitive than a humans. Thinking ahead, this creature wouldn't be distracted like most of our TSA agents talking about last night's American Idol show.A creature that could be rescued from countless animal shelters across the world and be given a second chance in life..... hell with it, lets spend a gazillion dollars on some crappy machine that doesn't even work and staff it with clueless page turners and hassle Great Grandma Mildred.[/citation]

Come to think of it I agree with you. A grizzly bear is what we need at the airport. Sniff out those bombs and scare the shix out of potential terrorists. I say it's much more cost effective and will do a job 10 times better than any machine.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The only 99% way to get safe plane travel is thus: Fly everyone completely naked, and put their cargo on a second plane with only the pilots. No desire to blow the cargo plane up, only two lives would be taken, and unless someone can jam a brick of C4 up their ass, you'd be safe. Unless of course the ground crew was bribed.....hum, guess it just can't be done.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]Hmm. I wonder why Airports do not hire doctors. New Airport Security: Free Physicals. kill 3 birds with 1 stone.1) Free complete physical (not even suppositories can get through)2) Not as embarrassing as a body scan (you will need to do no.1 eventually)3) While your in there, security can check your clothes thoroughlyAt least with this option, you get some benefits.[/citation]Does it come with a reach around?

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Israelis don't use racial/religious profiling. They use behavioral profiling. This method is much more effective. The problem is if most of the people who are terrorists do happen to be Muslim, that is who the behavioral profilers will pick out, and therefore, the PC police will cry bloody murder. But it will also pick up on potential Timmothy McVeighs too...[/citation]
Because being Muslim is a behavior? And they'd get Timothy McVeigh because he's a Muslim? You should be happy they aren't profiling morons, because you'd get your balls hooked up to a car battery in a secret Jordanian prison with the quickness.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Either you have poor reading comprehension or you are just trying to twist what I wrote, but either way, you completely missed the point.

Again, the Israelis use behavioral profiling. They will catch ANYONE who is behaving strangely and detain them or prohibit passage on their flights.

I have to admit, their style is intimidating, as they even do a Q and A session with potential passengers, but it is far more reliable and less stressful overall than 'random searches' and 'racial profiling' which produce so many false positives.

bull2760

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Take a look at Guardian Technologies they have Pin Point software that is capable of detecting explosives. It's even capable of telling the difference between H20 and H202.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I bet $100 with any member here this will be a future excuse to further clamp down on our privacy in the future with the excuse of terrorism.[/citation]

Future? Where have you been in the PAST?

Patriot Act is a prime example of privacy and even Constitutional Rights being taken away due to terrorism.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
What about those air puffer machines? I thought those had a pretty high reliability and accuracy rate. Are they just to big and expensive to be practical? THey must be slow too, which security lines don't need to get any slower...

Status
Not open for further replies.