Airport Scanner Sees Phone, Knife; Misses Bomb

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
If you looked at the video, some fat person went thru the scanner. How can one of these airport scanners detect explosives thru all that fat? At least we know the next Al Qaeda bomber will be some fat person.

skyu

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
YES!....everybody get naked!...da*m!...she'a a BOMB!
...as someone said before me...there will always be ways to harm others...a stupid machine which is not working properly can't change this

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin.
Besides, the new scanners are just "security theater", they give the illusion of increased security, and cost a lot of money (and therefore, make a lot of money for someone). They calm the masses who fail to heed Ben's advice.

G

I think everyone is missing the point. The point is this: Americans and the rest of the world have been duped into believing these people are just 'crazy', which is a half truth. The other side of the coin is that these people come from places where western exploitation by 'economic hitmen' is rife, and to the detriment of the native people. So naturally some go crazy.

If we can start fairly treating our brothers and sisters in other countries and allowing a 'prosperous peace for all' rather than an imposed peace by force than we can take this problem out at the route, which is that some people don't have a life worth living enough to not want to blow themselves up on a plane run by those who they see as their antagonisers.

porkburger

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Toms Philosopher[/nom]I think everyone is missing the point. The point is this: Americans and the rest of the world have been duped into believing these people are just 'crazy', which is a half truth. The other side of the coin is that these people come from places where western exploitation by 'economic hitmen' is rife, and to the detriment of the native people. So naturally some go crazy.If we can start fairly treating our brothers and sisters in other countries and allowing a 'prosperous peace for all' rather than an imposed peace by force than we can take this problem out at the route, which is that some people don't have a life worth living enough to not want to blow themselves up on a plane run by those who they see as their antagonisers.[/citation]

You only know the quarter truth. The other 3/4 truth is that the core of Islam is based on terrorism and rule by fear. Muhammed was initially 'peaceful'..that was before he has an army...once he has gathered his army, he rules by the sword. Muhammed is very smart soldier (i have to give him that). He pretends to play god, impose all kinda rules so that nobody leaves islam (death to apostate), impose polygamy so that the 'religion' he created can breed faster than anything else on earth. Impose prayers 5 times a day (initially it was 24 times, but Mo claimed he talked to God and reduced it to 5), as a roll call measurement to check his army.

Go read the damn Quran and the Al-Hadith. It's all there. You might think that it is an 'economical imbalance' problem, but as i stated earlier, that's only quarter truth. There are many rich and well to do muslim in many parts of the world who has been caught as terrorist. Remember, Osama Bin Laden comes a filthy rich family too.

And yeah, i'm living in a Muslim country. I can safely say i understand muslim more than most of you.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]porkburger[/nom]Useless. The best way is to filter out the muslim. Make all the flights NON-HALAL. Make the seats from pig skin. These nutballs will rather die than touch a pig, coz this is their believes. I find it rather amusing the West is so afraid of Muslim "sensitivities". Is Muslims dickheads? Why are they so sensitive all the time? What about the sensivity of the rest of the world? We don't want to die by the hands of some crazy muslim nut!!Before you say i am racist, Muslim is NOT a race. It is an Elitist ideology like Nazis. And muslims love to potray the "I am oppressed!!" image...when muslim is the REAL OPPRESSOR. You want to know why? Because i am non-muslim in a shitty muslim dominated country where non-muslims are oppressed in every way from political to economical to educational opportunities.If you guys in the West lets the muslim have their way, eventually, you'll just ended up as a minority in your own land...in fact some Europe countries are already facing this danger given the rapid breeding of muslims (there is a very good reason they pratice polygamy and each men can have 4 wives).Beware. You've been warned.[/citation]

way the go.. upsetting 1.5 billion people..
and where do you live man? Malaysia??

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I can't help but notice that they overlook the simplest of deadly weapons: nerve gas

Bleach
Ammonia
a couple of medicine bottles ripped from a wal-green's and an atomizer ripped off a cologne or perfume bottle

2 seemingly harmless yet oh so deadly clear liquids in clear containers that could be passed off as medications, and a means of getting it airborne...
And my 12 yr old brother got the recipe from an episode of "King of the Hill"...
FOX is training terrorist! I knew it!

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]porkburger[/nom]You only know the quarter truth. The other 3/4 truth is that the core of Islam is based on terrorism and rule by fear. Muhammed was initially 'peaceful'..that was before he has an army...once he has gathered his army, he rules by the sword. Muhammed is very smart soldier (i have to give him that). He pretends to play god, impose all kinda rules so that nobody leaves islam (death to apostate), impose polygamy so that the 'religion' he created can breed faster than anything else on earth. Impose prayers 5 times a day (initially it was 24 times, but Mo claimed he talked to God and reduced it to 5), as a roll call measurement to check his army.Go read the damn Quran and the Al-Hadith. It's all there. You might think that it is an 'economical imbalance' problem, but as i stated earlier, that's only quarter truth. There are many rich and well to do muslim in many parts of the world who has been caught as terrorist. Remember, Osama Bin Laden comes a filthy rich family too. And yeah, i'm living in a Muslim country. I can safely say i understand muslim more than most of you.[/citation]

Ah, the internet. A glorious breeding ground for poor grammar... and spelling... and hate brought by fear...
Congratulations on letting the "terrorists" get to you. I'm glad I've had my daily reminder of how ignorant man has become, and how bleak our future will be, as men act upon their fears and ignorance.
Ever stop to think it's people like you that make the rest of the world hate the United States? It's not only the Muslims that hate us. Hell, even Americans hate Americans, as seen in your hate-filled rant.
If, indeed, you live in a predominantly Muslim country, then perhaps you should consider leaving it. Otherwise, acknowledge that you are a "guest" in a foreign land, and the least you can do is pretend to be somewhat of a tolerate human being, instead of a terrorist yourself.
Yeah. I went there. You, and PETA, are terrorists. You both attempt to persuade others into believing what you want them to believe by instilling fear. I hope that if you do live outside the "free world," then whatever country you're in deports you before given the chance to draw and quarter you.
Thanks for the reminder, and have a pleasant day :hello:

netpatriot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I have more faith in ordinary people than all the security community's in the world, when it comes to spotting and otherwise dealing with terrorists.

besides how often do we need to be reminded of the extreamly low possibility of being a witness to a terrorist incident much less experience it first hand, c'mon I´m more worried about drunk drivers than ever some terrorist, beside these expensive scanners only serve to make theyr inventors rich and dont deal with the root of the problem which is both social and cultural.

besides about that "xmas bomber" if you are a banker with powerful enemy's that want to kill your son as a punishment for losing them large sums of money would not Guantanamo bay be about the safest place on the planet to send him to?

hell if any organized crime entity wants you dead or just anyone, then doing a bomb stunt on a plain will buy you several extra years of live in a totally secure and exotic place with high tech medical facility plus a garrison of private bodyguards :D

G

no matter what they do to try and eliminate that last 0.01% of suspect items on board a flight, there is always going to be limitless ways to harm the aircraft or its' occupants, there are ample items already provided onboard for the convenience of the wilful terrorist, not to mention the ways planes are grounded without ever getting near them.
airport scanners are a complete and utter scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.