Airport Security OKs the iPad, Thinks it Has No CPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmansj

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2005
TSA stole my niece's Macbook from her checked luggage. Guess we don't have to worry about them stealing iPad's, since they don't think it has a CPU

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I never understood TSA's silly policies. Why look for explosives in the HD or CPU when a standard laptop battery which has the stored energy equivalent of a hand grenade?...

Heck, why ban water bottles and let everyone take the equivalent of a grenade on board! Government is so reactive, they just wait for someone to do something and then just Ban w/e that is instead of using their heads.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
And they really wonder why Terrorist attacks occur? If the government really cares about security then they should make sure that the people they hire have any understanding about what is happening in the world around them.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]A bunch of jealous broke idiots on this site.[/citation]
lol broke hardly just built a 2500$ pc without breakin the bank. why would i waste my time on a device that cant do half of what i need it to do

qwed88

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
They're not looking for explosives in the hardrive or cpu in particular. They're looking at any dense object in an electronic device that shows up black on the x-ray. If you can't see whats inside you have to test it for explosives.

The real idiots are the one's complaining but yet when an attack occurs are the first to blame the government.

Whiney little b****s who can't tolerate a walk thru a metal detector, overly sensitive brats.

G

just like cameras the screening machines have exposure levels too, standard exposure level help resolve details of every day items, shielded items or items with a high density of metal need a higher exposure rating to help resolve the details inside of the item (save for taking a hammer to it), it would appear iPad has minimal shielding and components with low metallic density, (they were able to resolve the details of the components inside the iPad at default setting)

on a side note

"dameon51 :
It doesn't have a CPU, it has a hamster on a wheel."

that would be a Chinese hamster right, cause they cheaper....

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
As someone else said, wouldn't it be good for something to have a hard drive and cpu? I mean, what would you be more concerned about - a laptop with all its internal workings, or a laptop with no processor or hard disk?

Just a thought... it's a good thing these people are running our country...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Killerclick you're 100% right. Get rid of the stupid security. Leave what needs to be left, but I'll take my chances if it means giving up my freedom.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Killerclick you're 100% right. Get rid of the stupid security. Leave what needs to be left, but I'll take my chances if it means giving up my freedom.[/citation]

Agreed, what's the point in being safe if we have no freedom. Like I've said many times, statistically you're vastly more likely to be killed driving to the airport than on a flight.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]If she wasn't a cute little Asian lady but rather a large, hairy, bearded middle-eastern looking-like man, she would have been rigorously examined.[/citation]

Maybe. I tend to get searched at the airports but I am a tall, skinny white guy. Might be because of my big shoes though....

TSA must have people who ar not familiar with new tech. Must still be using brick phones.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]And the hamster is kept hydrated with a teeny bowl of 'magical' unicorn tears.[/citation]

She's done it to me again...

qwed88

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Oh my god, my freedoms have been violated. Since when is being able to fly on a plane a basic freedom? it's a service if you don't like it take a train, car, or bus.
There are allot of people nowadays that do not know what the word freedom means.
Whiney b****'s

Status
Not open for further replies.