Airport Worker Warned for Abusing Naked Scanner

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]I C YU[/nom]All they are is a huge sum of money to a few corporations with government connections.[/citation]

Don't forget that false sense of security that gets officials re-elected.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]Well that didnt take long."I'm totally traumatised. I've spoken to the police about it. I'm in too much of a state to go to work." Oh come off it, it's not that bad.[/citation]
Read between the lines. "I can get big money for this."

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]si7entsam[/nom]Ohh boo hoo, like a girl has never had a guy comment about her breats. Really distressed? Cmon, get over it I say.[/citation]
How about the hundreds of people that walk through these every day?
I refuse to fly at anyport that has anything more than a metal detector. This is downright abusive on paying travellers.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
So you can have a delay, a cancellation, or a strike messing up your plans... and if that wasn't bad enough, there's the chance of some lascivious prat leering at your genitals.

All part of the service! (I nearly put "package" but that's too close to a pun)

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Dubya to Cheney on a recent hunting trip:

"Well Dick, at least we stopped all those tourists, didn't we?"

Cheney: (blam) "Yep! We sure did buddy... OOps... That didn't hurt much, did it Dubya?"

albion000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
there is a difference between people scanning to "get a gander" and those scanning and maintaining professional bearing--much as there is among nurses of both genders, OB/GYNs, and the like. I do not find it abusive to be fully scanned given that I know it will happen beforehand.

i would bet dollars to donuts that those saying "it's no big deal" are not women (and even if so, are not those who have endured such harassment). As for the chance that there could be a pervert somewhere, that exists everywhere--but it (presumably) doesn't stop you from leaving your homes each day.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Wait... this is The Sun. Why are people surprised at the way it's been reported?[/citation]

Maybe its because when I "read the Sun" I get a migraine and see spots for awhile. Not all of us are from Phoenix. Oh wait, where is that newspaper from again? The UK you say? Oh bloody hell. I'm AMERICAN!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The Sun is a rather famous tabloid that is well known for putting its foot in it by not knowing what the hell it's talking about. Just ask anyone in Liverpool.

G

I would rather someone see my balls than get blown up on a plane or forced to sit with my head between my knees as someone decides to force a pilot to smash into a building.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If those pictures are really what it looks like. Freaking get over it. Now with the comment. If that tramutized her. Maybe she should just put a gun to her head and end it. Because there is much worse in this world then somebody saying, "you got big breasts".

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Wow. So on the first page, I posted something to the extent of "The Church of Scientology didn't sue South Park and they sue everyone."
I am not seeing that post or where that post was hidden.
Did someone at Tom's remove it?

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]thank god europe aint paranoid like the u.s.[/citation]

I'm confused.. This happened in europe, and airport security in the US is currently no more strict than it is in europe. In fact, these scanners were put into place in europe before they were in the US. So why are you thankful that europe isn't as supposedly paranoid as the US?

I'll agree that the US is overly-paranoid (well the government at least), but it's just as bad in overseas as well (again, at least as far as government goes). The aiport security laws have pretty much paralled each other.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I haven't figured out the quote thing yet sorry conterpart.

England always follow the usa, but i'll say one thing the only gov that has my fingerprints is the usa and i'm french! and we had quite a few terrorist attacks in the past in france...and i would honestly say half the times i've been at the airport they destroyed a abandonned luggage, just to tell you that they are combating terrorist just not being ridiculous about it (ie. all public garbage bins made see trough..)

In the end we are the ones suffering cuz we have to go trough all that security on a regular whereas any smart terrorist will check current pratices and find a flaw (its managed by humans theres always a hole) its a never ending cycle...and ill even go further its becoming more and more politicised creating an illusion of security and of the usa proactively fighting crime...just my two cents

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom][...][/citation]

I'm a German now living in the UK who has lived the last 2 years in the US. :) I agree with what you're saying. (Even though since my latest passport, Germany has my fingerprints as well.) In the US, the government and especially the media are 'better' at creating paranoia. Just when it comes to air travel I think we're all the same. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.