Alarm Clocks Useless Thanks to Cell Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I still have an atomic radio frquency alarm clock radio with battery backup. I shut off my cell phone at night because of wrong number calls in the middle of the night.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm sure there's an app for that, but my non-iphone can't compete with my smart alarm clock that only wakes me up on weekdays. Plus, I enjoy waking up to radio much more than the Verizon tone.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have my cell programmed for different days with multiple times (for those hang-over days).
Of course my kids are the ultimate alarm clock. Their internal clock doesn't require batteries.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I still use my classic radio alarm, on a battery backup.

Like mactruck said, I too enjoy radio much more than my celphone tone.

And my KATANA isn't loud enough to wake me up.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
iPhone is my alarm but I also have a nifty little clock that was given as a gift that displays the time on the ceiling in the morning. With the iPhone I can set each day to wake me up at a separate time and not have to worry about the alarm going off on the weekend. Also, the alarm will still sound with the phone on silence so I don't have to worry about texts in the middle of the night or random phone calls. Oh yeah and the phone has a battery so a power outage doesn't have any effect on me.

I'm sure you can get all that functionality in a fancy alarm clock but really, why bother?

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mactruck[/nom]I'm sure there's an app for that, but my non-iphone can't compete with my smart alarm clock that only wakes me up on weekdays. Plus, I enjoy waking up to radio much more than the Verizon tone.[/citation]

Get a blackberry. You can set it the same way. Thats what I do. Course its seems it is a sin for me to sleep in on the weekends. Damn women.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
My dad thinks it's bad fashion to wear a suit without a wrist watch, but I just use my cell phone as a time keeper when I go to work everyday.

Even at a black tie function I went to recently I still didn't wear a watch.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Its funny, I do a lot of traveling for work and most of the times in the hotel rooms, the small table next to the bed has a lamp and the alarm clock using the closest power outlet to the bed and the first thing I discconet is the lamp so I can have the phone chrging next to the bed, but still use the alarm clock to see the time at night.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I know i stopped using Alarm Clocks about a year ago. Got tired them either not going off or sleeping through them. Cell Phone I can setup 3 alarms all with different sounds. That way if one doesn't wake me...the others will.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]i set up my blackberry to go off at 11:00 pm for unwanted calls, and to back on a 5:45 amand then alarm at 6:30[/citation]
Holy cow I do the same thing with about the same times. Works like a charm.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Actually Tom's, I have an alarm clock that I use and a watch that I wear on my wrist. While my cell phone could replace the function of both of these devices, I like the watch because it looks good for one, and to check the time all I have to do is move my wrist instead of grabbing my cell phone out of my pocket. My alarm clock is also an iPod dock, my roommate has one two (just different model) and we both use it to wake us up in the mornings.

I find it weird, but I am one of the few that actually completely turn off their phone at night, plug it into my charger and pick it up and turn it on when I go out the door. I wish my phone had the auto turn off and turn on that 'aracheb' has.

jangocat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Yep, alarm clocks and watches are both obsolete and unnecessary to most people since the event of cell phones. When I see someone who still wears a watch they don't look fashionable to me, they look OLD fashioned.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I use my iPhone as it's very convenient, but I still have it sitting in a Sony dock which doubles as a alarm clock / speaker. This way, I use the phone's scheduling, see time at night and have a more pleasant wake-up sound.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I use both. I'm hard to wake up in the morning. I wear a wrist watch too. It's much faster than digging in my pocket for a phone to see the time, especially when I'm sitting down.

I actually stuck knife in the top of an alarm clock I couldn't get to go off one morning. It went off.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have to use both. I have a hard time waking up in the morning, so I keep my phone by my bed as the "first stage" alarm. Sometimes I sleep through it, sometimes I wake up, turn it off, and fall back asleep!

This is where an old fashioned alarm clock comes in handy for me. As my "second stage" alarm, I found a really old fashiond wind up clock. You know, the one with a big hand and a little hand and two bells on top with a hammer that strikes them both. I swear it's the most obnoxious, annoying thing. Well, I put that one in my living room and set it 10 minutes after my "first stage" alarm. It's so loud and annoying that i HAVE to get up and turn it off! And once I'm up, I'm up!

Status
Not open for further replies.