Alienware 14 from USA

G

I am looking to replace my aging ASUS N50VN (P8600, 9300M GS) from 2008. I have been looking at the Alienware series for a few years now. Only problem is that to get an Alienware notebook in Australia, is $2000 for the lowest spec model. I was looking at this one from Amazon, and was wondering if there would be any issues with the overseas model? Its only for internet email and college work. Its almost half the price. I understand i would have to get a new power adaptor from Dell.

Solution
Seems that the Ethernet standard RJ45 is the same worldwide, so no issues there. Since you're an English speaker the OS version on it should be fine. If you plan to connect external monitors for any reason the video cabling should be standard. I believe HDMI, DVI and VGA are the same everywhere, but I'm not positive on any voltage deviations coming from the external monitor power source. You might check into that one.

I'm beat and need to crash. It's 2am here. If you need any assistance tomorrow I'll be glad to help if I can. Good luck with your purchase otherwise. Actually, have you checked into just buying through Dell UK? That way everything should already be the same. Looks like you can get a 17" model starting at £1,448.99 here...
Do you have your heart set on an Alienware purchase because honestly, if you can follow simple directions, or have experience with computer hardware, we could put a system together for much cheaper than a pre-built with superior specifications and performance. There are several good online computer hardware retailers in Australia so obtaining components shouldn't be a problem.

G

Yes I do have experience with computers (I designed and built mine in the signature), and it has to be portable, and not a custom desktop.

Everything I can find indicates the wireless standards are similar from North America to Australian standards. Warranty would likely be an issue with it being probable that you would need to pay shipping both ways in the event of a failure although you might want to contact Alienware to verify. Perhaps they have better customer service than most and will offer a compromise on RMA. The voltage will be different as it seems the UK, which I think Australia adheres to regarding electrical standards but I'm not positive, mandates a uniform 230v for all EU countries so if that holds true for your location you would need a travel adapter which is readily available online through many sources. You would need the 230v to 110v adapter.

Seems that the Ethernet standard RJ45 is the same worldwide, so no issues there. Since you're an English speaker the OS version on it should be fine. If you plan to connect external monitors for any reason the video cabling should be standard. I believe HDMI, DVI and VGA are the same everywhere, but I'm not positive on any voltage deviations coming from the external monitor power source. You might check into that one.

I'm beat and need to crash. It's 2am here. If you need any assistance tomorrow I'll be glad to help if I can. Good luck with your purchase otherwise. Actually, have you checked into just buying through Dell UK? That way everything should already be the same. Looks like you can get a 17" model starting at £1,448.99 here:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-17/pd.aspx

Solution