Solved! How can I fix my alienware 17r3s overheating/charger problems?

Oct 22, 2019
My laptop has 3 problems that might be linked but all of them need to be resolved.

Problem 1/2 the laptop overheats when playing high performance games, and playing a high performance game causes my laptop to stop charging.

Whenever I try to play games on PC that are high performance like Destiny 2 and Overwatch my laptop often shuts down randomly while playing completely, audio, visuals etc. Sometimes I can turn my laptop on immediately afterwards without any problems and sometimes I get this message: "This battery is temporary disable, please turn off the computer and Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility". I sometimes put my hand on the keyboard to feel if there is heat, sometimes I can feel immense heat and sometimes it is just light heat and yet it still turns off. This still occurs even when I manually put the fans to max speed with hWinFo64 v5.22, when the fans are at max speed I don't feel heat from the keyboard yet it still shuts off. I have looked at numerous posts to see if I could solve this problem. My battery and charging cord have been replaced, a big problem I have is that my laptop has a partial broken spot where the charging cord goes into, I usually have to angle my charger in order for my laptop to be charged. A piece of the laptop broke off a long time ago. I don't know if this is the cause of my two problems or either of them or if its unrelated. While gaming, if my laptop is in high performance my laptop won't charge even though it is plugged in and then a second and a half later it will charge. I have my color cycle on my keyboard to light blue when its charging and red when its not charging, when playing a high performance game it changes between the two every few seconds. In addition to this, While the charger is plugged in but not charging, there are also problems of slow fps. I have ran Dell Support Assist and obtained all the new drivers and updated bios. There were no problems with scanning hard ware or any of the sort. As you can see, I have a bunch of problems but I really just need to fix the problem of my laptop shutting off during gaming.

Problem 3 my laptop only functions when it is charging.

This started happening recently, there were no changes that I made prior to this occurring. I first noticed this when my computer wouldn't turn on without my charging cord plugged in. I thought this was strange since I knew that my computer was charged and the battery/cord were replaced not too long ago and it was working fine. I found out that my laptop only functions when the charging cord is plugged into it, and even then it has to be plugged in at an angle because of the hole in my laptop that I mentioned earlier. My laptop currently says it has 95% available (plugged in) but if I were to pull the cord out it would shut off immediately and wouldn't turn back on until the cord is plugged in. It never increases from 95% or decreases. Since this problem causes my laptop to shut off and playing games makes it so that my charging cord goes on and off, playing high performance games is literally impossible. I need these resolved if possible otherwise this alienware that I bought isn't going to be of any use to me. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I should go from here if I want all of these matters fixed in a timely and cost effective way. Thank you.

Solution
The first two sounds like you have to have it looked at. You don't mention what is overheating, so I am assuming you haven't run any temp monitoring software, but even without it is obvious if it is that hot, you have a problem. It could be the CPU, GPU or even a fan problem, (or a combo of them). It needs to be looked at to determine which it is and what may need replacing. You may get lucky and it just will need to be cleaned out of dust and debris, and maybe have the thermal paste replaced. Or you could need one or more of the above replaced (which could mean a motherboard replacement). Have it looked at.

As to the third issue, it sounds like your battery is going bad. They give false readings when they are and the laptop wouldn't...
The first two sounds like you have to have it looked at. You don't mention what is overheating, so I am assuming you haven't run any temp monitoring software, but even without it is obvious if it is that hot, you have a problem. It could be the CPU, GPU or even a fan problem, (or a combo of them). It needs to be looked at to determine which it is and what may need replacing. You may get lucky and it just will need to be cleaned out of dust and debris, and maybe have the thermal paste replaced. Or you could need one or more of the above replaced (which could mean a motherboard replacement). Have it looked at.

As to the third issue, it sounds like your battery is going bad. They give false readings when they are and the laptop wouldn't run unless plugged in.

Solution