Solved! Alienware 15 Black Screen After Tear Down

Donmegel

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
I have a 15 r1 that needed a good cleaning and re-pasting of the GPU so I took it apart, did what I needed to, and then put it back together. When I cut it on everything worked fine except the screen didn't come on. I attached the laptop to another monitor to make sure the machine was working and everything was fine, just no feed to the panel. I restarted and same thing. So, I thought I forgot to attach something and took the machine apart, removed the monitor cable and reattached, but same problem. Screen isn't working.

Ideas?

Solution
On some devices the space things are in is minimal. So all it would take is a little pinch or a little push making it not line up perfectly where it connects and there you go, it goes out.
When you removed and reattached the display's cable, did you remove it at both ends and then reattach both ends? Most people just try one, hence my asking.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Should neither work, then I would look at either replacing the cable, the display or both.

Donmegel

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not sure what you mean, both ends of the cable? I unplugged it from the motherboard but not from the LCD panel itself.

Pressing CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B causes the laptop to make a single beep but nothing happens.

Even though you didn't disconnect it from the display, it would have become just a hair loose/misaligned and not working correctly now. Hence the disconnect and reconnect on both ends. I always suggest that as it is cheaper to take a minute and check than to replace a part if you don't have to. :)

Donmegel

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
So I should disconnect/reconnect it from the LCD too? Is there another possibility?

Donmegel

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Well, unplugging the cable at both ends and plugging it back in worked BUT I forgot to put the hinge covers on. After I installed them the screen wasnt working again. I tried unplugging both ends a second time but no luck.

Donmegel

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
I replaced the cable but no luck so I tried putting it back together as loosely as possible, no screws, not snapping panels in, etc and the screen came on. So, with it on, I started snapping panels back in and the screen cut out when I pushed down on the panel over the part of the cable that plugs into the motherboard.