Alienware 15 R3 Boot up

Joseph99

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Morning everyone. I received my Alienware 15 R3 yesterday that was certified refurb from Dell(Got an awesome deal on it, sot it was definitely worth it).

I needed a new laptop for school and always wanted an Alienware and still got it for an awesome deal. Now, I do own my custom built PC and I have the windows boot and some games on the SSD so I am use to fast boot ups and loading games.

But the AW only has a 1TB HDD and I noticed the actual boot up it self was not really slow, it was passing the login screen. Takes a while for discord and razer synapse(Especially this) to load. I am not too sure if this has something to do with the performance of the HDD as I am just very use to an SSD. Either way, I have full plans to install an M.2 SSD inside somewhere in the near future. I know this is not a very difficult issue but I just wanted to see what you guys had to say?

Thanks for reading!

Solution

itsmedatguy

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Congrats on snagging a good deal on yr laptop. If you're used to booting from an SSD, you're definitely going to notice a difference. You can change what programs start at bootup to speed things up a bit, but I'd suggest throwing an SSD in the laptop and putting your Windows install on that!

Solution

guanyu210379

Distinguished
If the 1TB is only the 5400rpm HDD and/or if you are already used to SSD..yes...everything will be like in slow motion.
Check the processor activities and the hdd activities over task manager to see if the HHD is really slowing down your system or if there is something else.