Feb 15, 2017
It shutdown after 10-20 mins of gaming

Alienware 17(2013 model)

Specs
Intel Core i7-4800MQ @ 2.70Ghz
16GB of ram
64bit windows 8.1, x64 based processor
Nvidia GTX 770M

The problem im facing is that it shuts down by itself after 10-20 mins of gaming.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in computers and lack of information. I try to learn as much as I can from what you have to say.

Anonymousguy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
It only happens during gaming but on other occasions like surfing the web, watching youtube it never happens. And the temperature is around 85-90c during gaming, and sometimes it will shutdown around 60-75c for no reason just a complete shutdown.

Anonymousguy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
Sorry for not updating, recently i have tried asking other websites about this problem. And the problem is getting worst, ONLY when i play my games then the laptop would shutdown by itself again during 5-10mins of gameplay, and the temps are around 50-60°c, i have cleaned my fans, checked the updates and everything seems to be alright only when i started playing games then it would shutdown by itself again.

Anonymousguy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
Update:So I uninstalled all of my games and reinstalled one just for testing purposes and tried it to see if it shuts down again and guess what? It shuts down by itself again with no warning just a sudden shutdown. So im gonna guess the games aren't the problem?

Anonymousguy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
It happens when im in-game for about 5-10mins or more and there is no sign of overheating(since I cleaned my fans once a month), so it justs shuts down completely like someone pulled out the plug and you have to restart it again like normal.

Stevemonk

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Hi, have you had any luck with this? I have the exact same problem with my alienware 17 r1, the only difference is that mine has a 780m. I've tried a few things but possibly narrowed it down to PSU or the GPU itself although it works fine when the clock speed is lowered when running on battery.

I started a forum post on the NBR forum -
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/powers-off-mid-game-under-load-possible-dead-gpu-aw-17-r1-gtx780m.803281/

Anonymousguy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
I haven't had much luck lately, basically for a few weeks it would run smoothly like it was new and could handle some of my higher end games but after a month it starts shutting off randomly when im in my games and there is no overheat at all!. I tried contacting Dell but they haven't responded to my questions. :(

Feb 19, 2018

Hi I guess this is solved now? Anyway i had the same problem on my 2013 AW17 780M 16G ram I7 4900MQ 120Hz 3d screen.
It wasn't while gaming but after X minutes. I removed the battery and the system would not start at all under AC power. With the battery it would start and die - restarts and die - restart and die again. Left it to charge all night and noticed the "Time to die" interval was shorter each time - so a power issue defo.

Battery was pulling the system down for me. I removed it then try to power on without the PSU plugged in (hold power on for 20 seconds a couple of times) THEN it boots fine with power connected. New battery 64Eu on amazon. I lobe my machine - use for work too and it#s still better than my 1yr old work laptop. Looking to upgrade teh GPU to a 980 but not sure if it will work with the 3d option/120Hz. Good luck and hope it's fixed.