Alienware 17 w/3 Monitors?

Dorr185

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014
Hello,

I just bought an Alienware 17 laptop. Specs are below. Is this setup powerful enough to run 3 monitors smoothly? Will probably be 24 or 27 in monitors. The only game that will be played on it is World of Warcraft. Also, if it is possible, could you tell me what type of ports I'd have to ensure were on the monitors? Thanks in advance for the help! New two all of this, and I saw a 3 monitor set up and thought it would be cool but have no idea how to actually pull it off.

Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor
16.0 GB DDR3L SDRAM
1 TB Hard Drive, 80 GB Solid-State Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

Solution
Well, I can't find any definitive information that says it supports the Nvidia surround display with three monitors, similar to AMD's eyefinity, but since it looks like it has a display port I'd think it would. Most likely you'll need three monitors that have both displayport and HDMI inputs if you want all three monitors the same, which is probably recommended for visual aesthetics. I guess you might be able to just use three monitors with displayports. Maybe somebody with more familiarity on the Nvidia surround can chime in on this but I'd say it could probably be done. I'll look into it a bit more for you.

Dorr185

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Thanks, model number and link to exact computer I ordered are below.

Alienware ALW17-8751sLV

www.amazon.com/Alienware-ALW17-8751sLV-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00JXLGE6Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Well, I can't find any definitive information that says it supports the Nvidia surround display with three monitors, similar to AMD's eyefinity, but since it looks like it has a display port I'd think it would. Most likely you'll need three monitors that have both displayport and HDMI inputs if you want all three monitors the same, which is probably recommended for visual aesthetics. I guess you might be able to just use three monitors with displayports. Maybe somebody with more familiarity on the Nvidia surround can chime in on this but I'd say it could probably be done. I'll look into it a bit more for you.

Solution

Dorr185

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Thanks Darkbreeze. I called Alienware/Dell's customer support and they guy told me I could only run one monitor, and that I could try two but it probably wouldn't work. I instantly hung up.

Went to BestBuy, they came up with me buying three monitors with HDMI inputs. So HDMI to HDMI for one, Mini displayport to HDMI for the second, and USB 3 to HDMI for the third. I'm by no means a computer guru but that didn't sound quite right to me either.

I ended up just buying two monitors until I could do more research.

I know you can for sure go to one monitor with HDMI, one monitor with displayport and then I think another display port can be daisy chained somehow off the the first one but you really need to ask the graphics and gaming guys on that one. I use an eyefinity display on my multimedia pc but of course that's got a discrete PCIe card.