Alienware Alpha R1 stuck on BIOS splash screen

Apr 21, 2018
When I boot this 5 year old computer I see the Alienware BIOS splash screen forever. I tried hitting F12 (and F2 and F8 and ...) repeatedly right after turning on but I can't get into the BIOS. I tried a different hard drive and a different memory chip. Always the same, infinite Alienware splash screen.

Solution
Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.
Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load. If it does, then there is something on the computer causing the issue. Virus, malware, etc. If it won't load in "Safe Mode" either, then I would start to wonder if the motherboard is in need of replacing.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Apr 21, 2018
There is no way to start in safe mode. The computer is stuck on the BIOS splash screen.

Apr 21, 2018
Correct, hitting ANY Fn key does not change the behavior at all.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

Solution
Feb 5, 2019
I am having the same issue. Stuck on Alienware start screen, the POST I'm assuming. I've got F2 and F12 but if hit either just highlights it and still goes nowhere. Does not go past here into windows. Can not boot from USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.