Alienware Laptop keyboard randomly stops working til standby/hibernate

kulords

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I've got a 4 year old Alienware m9700 laptop that has been giving me quite a bit of trouble over the last few months. About three months ago, the touchpad just completely stopped working, and for the last two months the keyboard will lock up at random times. USB keyboar still works, but as I'm in the air/on the go a lot, having to carry around a big ol keyboard is highly unrealistic. The computer is amazing when it works, but it's just getting ridiculous.

On top of that, the wifi cuts in and out as though its searching for other channels (Ive already uninstalled the realtek software so theres no contradicting software issues) and tried switching channels, but thats not my real issue--the KEYBOARD is.

I think I've ruled out it being a hardware issue, as the keyboard works fine for a few minutes and then boom, it just locks up. What makes me think its some sort of software issue is if I go into standby mode or hibernate and come out, it works just fine--until it locks up again, then I have to standby and come out...makes for a real hard time when I'm trying to edit. But heres the real doozy--this problem started a few months ago when I had my old hard drive--but this is a brand new hard drive, with a fresh copy of XP on it...weird, huh?

I've searched high and low for a resolution. They dont make this keyboard anymore, so I'm out of luck in terms of getting a new one. Every "similar" post I've seen has been graphics related or cpu related, and I checked all my connections and everything is seated properly.

So I ask you, oh techy god's, WHAT THE F?!

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
It Sucks I Know, But Most of The Time, If It IS A Software Issue That Is, Is To Backup What Ya Wana Keep. Wipe The Machine And Reinstall EVERYTHING While Cutting Out The Crap Ya Dont Need, And If Your Not Already Using It, Upgrade To 7 While Your At It.

Ive Had Stuff Like This Happen Before On My Machines And A "Refresh" Fixed The Problems 9/10 Times

Theres My "Two Cents" Spend It If Ya Wish..

kulords

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I'd normally be all on board the reformat train, but unfortunately this machine has been reformatted twice on the old hard drive, and this is a brand-spankin-new hard drive...so yeah...but I'll take your two cents and put it in my savings so I can get a new computer.

G

Wow, my Alienware has exactly the same problem.
Did you ever solve it?

I even installed a second hard drive with a new install of Windows XP2.
And the keyboard still fails randomly.

Somtimes the mouse also.

Not to mention some crackling noises from the speakers until the beast gets warmed up.