Alienware laptop screen goes black

Jul 6, 2018
So my laptop has been acting up recently. Every few seconds it will black screen, sometimes it doesnt black screen long enough to pass boot, but will black screen afterwards, but i can just press the power button to sleep and bring it back up. If i keep this up for a few hours it will stay working until i turn it off again. The issue has been getting worse and i dont know what to do.

I've tried factory resetting, installing windows 10, installing windows 7, updating drivers, updating bios EVEN TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN and nothing worked permanently. The issue happens usually during the little windows logo loading thingo.

My laptop is a alienware 15 with an intel HD 4600 and a gtx 970m

I uploaded a video of what exactly happens after I already managed to boot up (took 5 hours or so), i hope this is allowed
(https://youtu.be/EqjVFQFkTFo)

Solution
The GPU is why I mentioned overheating. You may get lucky on the motherboard cost, if you can do it yourself. If not, then it could cost quite a bit more. Unless it is under warranty. I would exhaust all other options first though. To be sure.

Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor to see if the problem persists then? If it doesn't, then it isn't the GPU.
Have you check it for overheating? I ask because it sounds like the GPU is acting up. If it keeps doing so it may need replacing, which would likely mean replacing the motherboard. Or the display is going bad. Watched the video but can't really tell by that which it is.

If under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer and have them look at it it. If it isn't, then I would try a local tech.

Jul 6, 2018

It does not seem to make sense to be a heating problem (unless its underheating?) because i left the laptop on after the screen went black under some blackets, and when I came back later it was working fine (and it takes a shutdown to make it act up again once it starts working) Im very scared its a faulty GPU since swapping the motherboard would be expensive for me.

The GPU is why I mentioned overheating. You may get lucky on the motherboard cost, if you can do it yourself. If not, then it could cost quite a bit more. Unless it is under warranty. I would exhaust all other options first though. To be sure.

Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor to see if the problem persists then? If it doesn't, then it isn't the GPU.

Solution