Alienware Laptop to replace desktop question

CTRuppert

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Before I start, back in February I started a topic asking for opinions on what cpu upgrade would be best for my desktop I had built years ago (I5-4690, 8gb and a 1080ti) and got a lot of helpful tips. I pushed the upgrade back because I decided to wait and save more money for the upgrade and realized that may have been the best thing I could have done.

I am about to start a new job soon that requires me to be on the road a lot so I decided to look at a different path and thinking it over I would prefer something more mobile as I will be traveling a lot more then I have been and would like a laptop that is sturdy enough for the constant moving.

I am thinking of just selling my desktop I have and buy an alienware 15 with the i5 8300H and 1060 plus the amplifier. The reason I am planning this change is because the alienware feels like a very sturdy laptop and while I am at home I can plug the laptop to the amplifer and since I plan to keep the 1080ti It would be great for everyday gaming. For my needs I am only looking for 720p medium-high while on the move (I know that the laptop can do better its just what I am willing to deal with) and 1080p at high when I am at home. I know I can get similar spec laptops but I am buying an alienware specificly for the amplifier add on as I would like to keep the laptop for as long as I can and knowing that I can get the amplifier for improved gaming later down the road even if the gpu is bottlenecked by 10-15% i have seen people claim.

So now the real question, what are people's opinion on this change? As I cant find the information, how does the I5 8300H compare to the 4690 in real life as I dont like some of the online results as I dont know what they used to obtain those results (as userbenchmark says the 4690 is 3% stronger)? Yes I know the desktop would be better gaming system but as I said earlier Ill be on the move alot more and also one thing I didnt mention Ill be moving to a new place and feel the laptop would be nice as it would take up less space. Or would the i7 7700hq from the dell refurbished shop be more then good enough for my needs from other peoples experience?

PS
I also had plans to just sell the 1080ti and not get the amplifier right away to get the better i7 8750H and waiting down the road for the next GPU. Also sorry for all the reading.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Honestly Alienware is just over priced and not even the best in the field in terms of cooling for gaming etc...

I purchased an MSI GE17 for $1.500 when it was on sale. prices have dropped since I've purchased this unit and newer versions are out. However, MSI makes an awesome laptop that is thiner, lighter, better cooler and same or better performance then most Alienwares for cheaper costs.

I would look into alternatives unless you are a die hard fan of Alienware for some reason.

CTRuppert

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Well like I said before my main reason is for the amplifier so I could use it to improve future games without having to change laptops again to keep current as the 1060 that I am thinking of getting wont last that long where as I could throw a 1080ti in the amplifier to improve my gaming. If I were to look at other laptops I would probably have to go with something bigger then a 1060 gpu. I did a quick search and (no I'm not a fanboy as I actually have never owned an Alienware) but the Alienware doesn't look that bad priced vs other laptops (but maybe the current deal that's going on could be the reason) as for example the MSI GP63 (1550 dollars) and the same spec Alienware 15 is 1650 dollars but that's with the i7 8750H and 1070 (yes 100 more but that amount isn't enough to affect my purchase choice). But was looking at the 1060 laptop to keep the price lower but afraid of it not being able to handle games at high settings within a year or so which is way I was also looking at the amplifier. But like I said I have thought of selling my 1080ti to get the better spec version and get the amplifier later, maybe ill take a look and if I find a 1080 laptop in my price range I might be willing to settle with that.

I also have considered thunderbolt 3 external gpu, but the amplifier from game tests seems to be much better due to the amplifier getting the full bandwidth while the thunderbolt having some of the bandwidth being shared with other things in laptop.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I'd say thats a pretty accurate description of your findings. I just wouldn't rule out other vendors if you can get a cheaper unit with same specs. Just make sure its a named brand unit.

I love my MSI laptop, take with me everywhere and while its an older model. I have no issues running newest games at med/high settings. Cooling is great on them.

CTRuppert

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Ya, I left to look at a MSI leopard (Walmart had a display model) and a 13in model Alienware (a friend has one) to see how they felt. I also did some research by watching videos and looking at notebookcheck.net and it seems the 1060 might be all I need for the games I play and 1070 would last me awhile if I went that route. And decided that the construction of the Alienware would be really nice for when I am in the truck Ill be driving vs the flimsy feeling of the MSI they had at Walmart. I debated about it and decided on either a 1070 MSI leopard or a 1060 Alienware and almost picked up the Leopard only to find out that Best Buy was having a deal on the Alienware 15in that made it 250 dollars cheaper then Alienware's website even after the current 200 dollar off deal that Alienware is having.

So I ended up getting the Alienware as it felt sturdy, the 1060 seems to be more then enough for me and the amplifier upgradability for down the road. The only modern games I play right now are Fortnite STW not battle royal, GTA 5, Overwatch and Battlefield 1 (I don't play these games too often, just the ones that are the most modern)

But I'll admit thanks to your first post it did make me look around at different options as I was afraid of swapping to a laptop completely and not having the desktop upgradability no more like I have right now. Just sucks Ill be moving to a smaller place and will be driving a lot due to my new job so laptop is where Ill have to go. I have never really owned a gaming laptop, every laptop I have owned has always been something with intel graphics.