Alienware M11x

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello. I recently finished High, and I'll be leaving home for studies. I like to game, so i decided i'd ask for a gaming laptop as a parting gift. Looked around at Dell, since I read that it's the best site for laptops, and found Alienware site, which offered quite a nice selection.
My budget isn't too grand, it could be around 900$, and while toying around with their "build-a-laptop" utilities I came up with this one. What do you think?

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Memory
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
Hard Drive
500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
External Optical Drive
Targus ADV01US USB 2.0 DVD-ROM External Drive
Keyboards & Mice
Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX
Video Card
***I think it's 1GB NVIDIA® 335M, i wasn't exactly allowed to change it, so i guess it comes default.***

I intend to work on it during my studies, and it would be used for high-end games like Dirt 3, Crysis 2, Black Ops,.

I intend to run these games on high, since if i'm buying a gaming laptop, there's no holding back (Well, budget still kinda makes me do that). It supposedly has 1366 x 768 resolution, weighs about 1,4kg, and battery life is known, etc etc.

I intend this laptop to last without any updates to RAM for atleast 2 more years, if not more. If it becomes needed, i'll of course upgrade it.

I live in Latvia, and it (supposedly?) delivers it here.

I chose the 500gb HD, because i tend to keep a lot of games on my Hard Drive, and this HD on my PC is always full, and that's just with games, so i figured i'd store movies and music there too.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, i'd like to know. Are there better alternatives with more longevity that can be build with the same budget, and of course deliverable to Latvia.

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Personally, i haven't had any experience with smaller monitors than 19'' screen, as i've had this one for a long time. I'd think it wouldn't be a problem per se, but a bit bigger monitor wouldn't hurt.

AntiZig

Distinguished
what kitty above said. seeing how xoticpc is a custom builder, I'm sure you might find similar vendors in your own country, it might also be cheaper for you if you find similarly specced machine in your country as opposed to getting it shipped all the way from California.

Also, take a look at asus machines (you can use xoticpc website for that), asus is based in europe, I think it would be easier for you to get support if you ever need to. (in sager's case you'd have to ship it to California for service, as far as I know, unless they got a location in europe)

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Anyways, how would this compare to the alienware laptop i posted before?
"FORCE PBL21 / Compal PBL21
- 15.6” HD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1366x768) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
- nVidia GT 540M PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (1024MB Included on HD (1366x768) Screen Model / 2048MB on FHD (1920x1080) Screen Models)
- No Video Adapter
- 4GB (2 SODIMM) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory - Standard
- Standard Finish
- - 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default"

AntiZig

Distinguished

I've tried to point this out somewhere else but I'll restate: XoticPC does NOT ship Sager machines. Sager ships Sager machines (in US Sager is located in California, and as far as I can tell they got no service centers in europe), as well as does service on them, XoticPC just acts as a sales representative for them.

FORCE PBL21 / Compal PBL21
- 15.6” HD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1366x768) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
- nVidia GT 540M PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (1024MB Included on HD (1366x768) Screen Model / 2048MB on FHD (1920x1080) Screen Models)
- No Video Adapter
- 4GB (2 SODIMM) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory - Standard
- Standard Finish
- - 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default"
This looks a lot better than the alienware, especially if this fits your budget. But given that, I cannot comment on the manufacturer.

Take a look at ASUS K53SV, it's slightly older and cheaper than N53, but should fit your budget.

Also, take a look at this
Asus N53 - it's an i5 processor (i5-2410 vs i7-2630), but I think it's a decent compromise for a better GPU (GT540 vs GT550)

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Asus N53 would be great, if it actually were for a decent price in Europe. While it may be going for about 1k$ in the US from Newegg, it costs nearly the same in Euros, and that's about 300-350 too many.
The one you called slightly less expensive still costs a bit too much. I wouldn't mind paying that much in dollars, but in Euros, just no, as those 800 euros change into 1131$, which is just too much for me.

God, why is trying to find a decent budget laptop so much harder in europe than us :??:

What do you mean XoticPC doesn't ship Sager machines ? They act as sale representatives of MSI,ASUS and Sager

AntiZig

Distinguished
that is precisely right, they act as a sales rep, they personally do not ship Sager machines, they don't even build them, they just act as a middle man between you and Sager. Sager is the one doing all the hard work. (I don't know regarding asus or msi as I haven't spoken to xoticpc about those machines)

sorry if I caused extra confusion before.

odigiccta

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I bought an M11x for my son as his gaming machine.
Gaming laptop with a battery discharge time of up to 6.5hrs, that is built like a tank (i.e built to last) and that is also extremely well built. I have five laptops in my house, plus my "official" office machine and this Aloienware machine is the best built home laptop I have (or have ever seen) ....
I doubt very much if you will find a better gaming machine for that size and price ....

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
My experience with Dell laptops in general has been unpleasant. If you buy an AW, expect to overpay a little, and more-so if you want any type of upgrade/customization done (this is kind of true for all laptops). Also, don't expect great build quality.

Use notebookcheck.net to compare that graphics card to the card on some of the other machines people have been asking you to check out, and ask around the forum for advice on vendors / sellers that have good deals in your country.