All-around laptop for ~1000 Eu

DreamC

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Previously I had Asus N550JK, but it seems I have to buy a new one now and I would like to ask for any help with choosing one.

My preferences are:
Price - around 1000 Euro.
Screen - 15 inches, preferably matte.
What for - an all-around notebook capable of running some heavy calculations (need this to run some Mathematica and MatLab code) and a bit of gaming.
Battery - this is secondary, as I don't use it that much on the go.
Portability - I'd like the weight to be as small as possible, as I will be carrying it with me all the time (well, almost).
Storage - ~1TB with or without SSD, optical drives are not needed.

There are a lot of discussions I read and a lot of opinions I heard.
There are a ton of newer Asus models of the laptop I previously had, but as there are quite a number of them, so it's hard to choose.
However (I might be wrong) I don't like Lenovo that much, especially after some incident with their in-built ad-ware.
And Macs won't do for me due to some software I'm using.

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
Asus has 2 main series, the asus g series designed mostly to be desktop replacements and the gl series which are for people that need portability. The n series is their multimedia range which are not designed for gaming but more for pro apps with a bit 3D power. The K series I am not sure. For you needs the n series maybe better as you don't need a powerful gpu but a good cpu.

NextGear

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
DreamC,

How do you feel about refurbish laptop?
Dell Latitude and HP Elitebook are rival of each other.

Stick with their 3rd, 4th, 5th Gen models (Wikipedia them for more info)
Try to grab one with an intel i7
They are easy to upgrade up and prices are do-able.

DreamC

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Thanks for reply!

GL series is the "gaming" one in ASUS, right?
I think there are alternatives in N/K series, however I don't know what will be the difference except for the design for the same money.
However the only thing i DO want is the matte (don't know if it's the right term) screen.

About the shops - I'm currently in Finland, so something like Amazon.co.uk or .de (well, or any other =) )

Asus has 2 main series, the asus g series designed mostly to be desktop replacements and the gl series which are for people that need portability. The n series is their multimedia range which are not designed for gaming but more for pro apps with a bit 3D power. The K series I am not sure. For you needs the n series maybe better as you don't need a powerful gpu but a good cpu.

Solution