All Computer Audio Plays Through Microphone

grillman

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
My gaming headset has an issue where it plays all of my computer audio through my microphone. Basically, any music, videos, or game audio I am hearing in my headset, other people can hear through my mic on Skype/Steam/etc.

I googled this issue, and went through 5 pages of people with the same issue. I tried everything, and I mean everything, to no avail. Then I googled five different iterations of my issue hoping to spur new results, only to be met with disappointment. The primary issue is that the majority of people with this issue had it 3-8 years ago, with different programs etc.

The issue is not sound bleeding from my headphones. The issue is also not the headset, as I have tried three headsets. I also tried using a desktop mic and just wore headphones. In this case, the mic didn't work at all. I am almost positive the issue is Realtek HD, the sound system on my computer.

The headset is a jack headset, a green jack and a red jack.

I have enabled, disabled, muted, and every combination in between the "Stereo Mix" setting.

I have plugged the jacks into the front panel and rear panel of the computer. I even tried plugging the mic in the front and speaker in the back and vice versa.

I have ticked and unticked the "Mute the rear output device, when a front headphone plugged in" option.

I have ticked and unticked the "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously" option.

I have ticked and unticked the "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device" option.

I have ticked and unticked the "Separate all input jacks and independent input devices" option.

I have tried messing with the "playback" and "recording" volume on my mic with no results.

I have ticked and unticked the "Disable front panel jack detection" option.

And I have done nearly every possible combination of all these options.

Seriously, I have tried everything I have seen on the internet, yet the problem persists. This is so frustrating. All I want to do is be able to use my headset without audio playing in my mic.

My Realtek HD Driver details are as follows:
Driver Version: 6.0.1.6418
Driver Date: 7/19/2011

I clicked the "update driver" button and it said I was up to date.

My PC specs:
CyberPower Inc.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Model: M68MT-S2
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

I honestly have no idea what to do from here. Is the issue as simple as updating Realtek? If so, what do I update it with? Is it something more complicated? I am certainly not computer savvy, so if I'm missing something, I do apologize.

If you made it this far, I sincerely thank you for reading through this. This issue has been something that has plagued me since I got my computer roughly four years ago. Every once and awhile I hop onto google hoping for new results to no avail. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The sound is not going through your mic, you are just sharing your system sounds through the programs. Look in the options for the programs not the audio card. For updating the sound card, check the PC/motherboard vendor support site, not just the update option from Windows.

grillman

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
The solution ended up being much simpler. Whenever I have a speaker plugged into the ports on the back of the computer into the mother board, and a headset plugged into the front of the computer, everything works fine.

When there is no speaker plugged in, all of the computer audio plays through my mic for all to hear. It is odd, but it worked.

Chimforce

Estimable
May 9, 2014

HOLY SHIT I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR A SOLUTION AND THIS FIXED IT THANK YOU SO MUCH<3