All purpose laptop with photo/video editing

jmesax

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
Hey all, suffering from indecision as I'm trying to buy a new laptop that would be a desktop replacement at home and be mobile for work. I do quite a bit of photo editing and would like to not necessarily have to have an external monitor always (will be purchasing one though...) to edit. I'm trying to decide between Sager 8651 w/ 4k screen and MSI GS60 Ghost. I'm not sure if the 4k screens are going to be better or worse - I realize I can always just get a 4k external monitor that is nicer. I've looked at a bunch of threads discussing IPS, color gamut, and calibration but just a little confused at this point. Just looking for the best solution to be able to edit photos and have a great laptop. Budget really isn't much of an issue thankfully. I am also wanting to make sure it would handle being able to output to a high quality external display. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I realize most believe Macs are the best although I really have not had great experiences with them and despise Apple's forcing people to use certain programs and ways of working...

Solution
yes i've heard so, but they are fixing it in windows 10. (However, idk if there is some special driver for windows 8.)

Are you gona be doing some deep (can't think of a better word) photo editing?

Because MSI has 3k monitors and they look good enough for photo editing.

Sorry i can't help much, having not seen a 4k monitor in my life makes stuff hard to recommend.
ok.

I like the sager one better, mainly because it is black (gold doesn't suite my taste) and you can customize it.

as for the ghost, one reviewer said it's locked at a 48hz refresh rate on the 4k monitor. That is defiantly a handicap, but i'm not sure if he looked into the graphics settings for refresh rate settings.

jmesax

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
Thanks just wondering really if the 4k screen is worth it as far as I'll do some photo editing on the computer but also will be mainly using as a work computer and I've heard there are scaling issues with 4k and Windows?

yes i've heard so, but they are fixing it in windows 10. (However, idk if there is some special driver for windows 8.)

Are you gona be doing some deep (can't think of a better word) photo editing?

Because MSI has 3k monitors and they look good enough for photo editing.

Sorry i can't help much, having not seen a 4k monitor in my life makes stuff hard to recommend.

Solution