All rounded laptop which will last for min 4 years

Hanayosu

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Hello guys, I need recommendation for my new laptop because my previous laptop just died. I am looking for a new laptop which can last for at least 4 year in term of specs and lifespan and can be used to play some new games (not in ultra setting, medium or high is very enough for me) and doing some works related with game programming and some image reconstruction or rendering with Virtual Reality. Desktop build is a no because I expect that I will travel a lot in the future. My budget is max 1600 USD. When I tried to search local stores, I found 3 laptop which caught my interest which is
- Lenovo Legion Y520 (GTX 1050 Ti) ( the 1060 version is still not available on my country)
- Asus Rog Stryx (GTX 1505)
- MSI GL62VR (GTX 1060) ( I am currently leading to this since it has 1060 which is said to be VR ready)
Although I am a little bit worried to buy gaming laptop since I heard they broke more easily due to overheat and expensive to repair but I think only the gaming series will be future proof. I will appreciate any input or recommendation because i don't want to spend my entire savings just for a 1-2 year laptop

PS : I am from Indonesia and buying from another country is a no because it will be complicated

Solution
GL/GP are the lower end of the series. They have the least "gamer features" and their max specifications are lower.

GE is "enthusiast" level. Most of the bells and whistles are included, such as msi gaming peripherals, full rgb keyboard etc.

It all boils to your preference and budget. If you want fancier rgb keyboards and msi gaming backpack, headset, mouse etc, you can pay more for GE

If you want a no-frills experience at the lowest pricr, go with GL/GP.

The cooling solution are quite similar for the same graphics card

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

There aren't any manufacturers that offer 4-year warranty, so there are no guarantees that any laptop can last for at least 4 years. MSI, Asus offer standard 2 year warranty while for lenovo u have to check.
In SIngapore, when buying from mega retailers such as harvey norman, courts etc.. we can purchase extended warranty though it's quite an extra cost.
If you live in a big city such as jakarta where there is a good second hand market, you can buy a higher end laptop for now, and after 2 years, sell it on the second hand market and buy another laptop

Hanayosu

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but what I mean with 4 year lifespan is the chances for those laptops having issues in the span of 4 years, I know it is hard to get a 4 year warranty that is why I'm looking for laptop that has been known to have the least issue under standard daily usage. Like my previous laptop, I have used it for almost 5 year and I have never got any issue except reinstalling OS until now.

And about buying second hand, I think I will have to pass that, because I am not an expert in judging the quality of a laptop. Who knows what kind of issue it has since it is second hand and it will also be a hassle if I have to keep migrating data. So yeah I prefer to be the first hand

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

I get what you mean. I can't offer you any advice regarding longevity.

Go with the MSI GL62VR. It has the best thermal management out of the 3 options. Better thermal management will result in slower wear and tear of internal components and better longevity. The exterior construction is good enough too.

Hanayosu

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

One last question, should I go for GL/GE/GP series? I saw that GE series look more promising and people said has better fan although I need to prepare more extra cash for it. Does the extra cash really worth it?

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
GL/GP are the lower end of the series. They have the least "gamer features" and their max specifications are lower.

GE is "enthusiast" level. Most of the bells and whistles are included, such as msi gaming peripherals, full rgb keyboard etc.

It all boils to your preference and budget. If you want fancier rgb keyboards and msi gaming backpack, headset, mouse etc, you can pay more for GE

If you want a no-frills experience at the lowest pricr, go with GL/GP.

The cooling solution are quite similar for the same graphics card

Solution