All Three Next-Gen Consoles Sporting AMD GPUs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
it all comes down to price/performance, heat and power consumption... amd has the higher of the first and the lower of the second and third. They are the better choice for putting in a tiny little box that sits under your tv and runs for hours on end. Now us real gamers that actually care about things like graphics use a pc and there its more of a toss up for who has the better card.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]JoseJones[/nom] They should turn the XBox into a mini upgradable computer specific for gamers. Maybe we should be able to connect it to our computers and have the mouse/keyboard option. Hardcore gamers are always saying that PC's are far better with much better technology and that consoles hold back development and technology. Maybe Microsoft/XBox should listen? They might gain many new PC customers. It sounds like a win/win to me.[/citation]

Buy a computer.
Consoles aren't made for upgrading, they're made for kids and moms and the tech unsavvy that won't bother with upgrading. There's also the fact that proprietary systems are less likely to be hacked and pirated.

[citation][nom]emergent84[/nom]They should at least use the best GPU available today and a 32nm CPU. I assume they will all be DX11 like. After these next-gen consoles there will little pressure to change until mainstream TV adopt 4k resolution (preferably more), which is going to be a long, very long time. 1080P sucks on larger screens, and most people do or will own at least a 50in screen. I dream of a day when I can get a 100in screen at 33MP resolution.[/citation]

Most people own a 50 inch screen? You're clearly the kind of person who doesn't use navigation because it might take you through the "bad neighborhoods". A lot of people have one TV in their house, and it's far under 40 inches. Others also don't want games on their main TV and tell the kiddies to go play on a smaller screen in the bedroom. Single people who live in studio apartments do not live in a world where their TV is the size of their wall. The average person is NOT gaming on a screen above 40 inches because you are. The average person also usually fails to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 under 24 inches. They wont tell the difference between 1080 and 4k at 40 inches either. The industry could have 4k resolutions out tomorrow, why are they pushing 3d instead? The limits of 2d are being pushed. there's a point where pixel count just doesn't matter anymore because your eyes blend it the same.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Wii U. Will use 4xxx chip in 2012. 2012-2009 is 3 years. Maybe ps4 and next xbox won't use older tech, but will be outdated after a year or two compared to computer. I was trying to temper the hopes that next gen console can provide a long lasting push for better graphics. I'm not a console hater, just a realist. I miss the days when console and computer games where different (Civ 2 versus Tekken)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... open standards is the key here... and because of that... it will be easy to program an port games to all platforms: Linux; Windows; Mac; Consoles... and maybe mobile devices too, as they get more powerful....[/citation]

open standard my a**

google "openGL" in case you're out of circulation.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]I'm actually begging that the GPU manufacturers are thinking really hard about what GPUs they are going to push into the consoles.Since the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have been around for so long and pretty much set the mark also for the PC games it might be worth the while if they put a really fast GPU into the next generation consoles even though it may be at loss of R&D expenses. (Or at least make them expandable or something.)This is because a beefier GPU on the consoles may create a market for video games that can more easily be ported to computers and fully utilize the extra power of better graphics cards on them and in that way create a demand for such cards.As it is now, it is the video games that set the pace of the development and with an old console not many games utilize the full power that is available on the current generation graphics cards that are available on today's computers which is damaging this market considerably.So I hope they will employ a strategy that will also benefit the PC graphics cards market.[/citation]

im not sure how this would work out. keep in midn consoels ahve to be designed for tight quarters and lots of heat removal when it coems to consoles , look ath the xbox 360 story, MS nor any company involved with the 360 wants anotehr repeat of that , i could easily see a middle to lower end dx 11 part makign it into the next gen consoles , but i certianly dont' expect nothgin beastly like a GF 590 or a radeon 6970. keep in mind also consoel makers really only ahve to focus on hitrting 1080p and dx 11 , they don't necessarily ahve to aim for 1080p +16 xAA and uber tesselation dx 11 on crack , to just improve graphics , 1080p with dx11 right nwo would bea huge leap from 720p on dx 9 . though 4x AA woudl be nice , but i wont hold my breath or my wallet over that small of an issue ., right now my pc monitor doesnt eve get 1080p (im limited to a resolutioon of 1600x900 on a 19 inch wide screen lcd monitor 1080p is 1920x1080) though i can put my pc on my tv for 1080p but it's not a feasible thing for doing actual work so i really don't do it (my tv is a 42 inch 1080p LG and with my room set up it's not conveinant to use it as a PC monitor)

stil my main point is don't hold your breath expecting some beastly hardware , even a low to mid end DX 11 gpu wil be hard pressed to take a chip shrink and produce less heat in a cramped console chasis.

personally i see nothing wrong with just making a console the same size as a pc , and slapping in what ever goddly hardware you wish, but that's me , lotta folks prefer a gaming console to be small and "babish" compared to a pc in size.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]When the XBOX 360 was released it had a R500 Radeon core. The release date of the R500 core (X1300) for desktop GPU's was October 2005. The release date for the 360, November 2005. So where do you get your 2-4 year old hardware analogy from? If the next 360 was released today, it would have the equivalent to a radeon 6850-6870 built in.[/citation]

dude your facts are so f---ed a-- wrong , the amd gpu in the 360 is NOT an X1300 its a modified x1800

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ATMinside[/nom]point less. I bought my 360 in 2009 and sold it last week. Last console I will ever buy. Personally I think it's a complete waste of money to buy something that has little to no upgrade options and is built on a proprietary system. Sure consoles are cheaper than computers and simpler to use but in the long run I don't see the value. Unfortunately game developers are directing their efforts to consoles and we are seeing a drop in PC gaming quality. We have games like Crysis 2, Mass Effect 2, and even duke nukem forever that have gone to the console path and only ported to the PC for added market gain. It seems no one wants to develop a game for just the PC anymore. I expect all future AAA title games will be console games and then later will be ported to the PC. In terms of graphical, physics, textures, lighting, shadows, etc... I see no future for the PC. It's just going to be console consoles console console.[/citation]

again soem one that doesnt know WHAT theya re talkigna bout , the games you lsited were not "ported" to pc , they were multiplatform games meanign they were deisgned for both consoles and pc at the same time . DNF particularly was actually built on pc for pc and was merely ported to console before it's multiplatform release.

multiplatform deving is differnt than porting ,

in porting the game gets made on one system and is then later ported to another ,
in multiplatforming the gfame is actually beign developed by several dordinated teams , one for each platform that ensures that the game is teh best it can be on each platform so it is not jsut a port job .

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Consoles have a life span of about 10 years, so I do hope for something better than "good enough" when they decided which GPU, CPU, amount of RAM etc... Even better give us the freedom to expand our consoles by simply been able to add more RAM, add more video memory, or even change the GPU 5 years down the road if we want.[/citation]
You mean like, a 486 with a s3 virge?

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]1samurai88[/nom]I hope PS3 uses a brand new Nvidia GPU instead based off the upcoming Kepler design with Sony added touches. ^.^[/citation]

that would be a SWEET 2 in 1 :D console and grill

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ATMinside[/nom]point less. I bought my 360 in 2009 and sold it last week. Last console I will ever buy. Personally I think it's a complete waste of money to buy something that has little to no upgrade options and is built on a proprietary system. Sure consoles are cheaper than computers and simpler to use but in the long run I don't see the value. Unfortunately game developers are directing their efforts to consoles and we are seeing a drop in PC gaming quality. We have games like Crysis 2, Mass Effect 2, and even duke nukem forever that have gone to the console path and only ported to the PC for added market gain. It seems no one wants to develop a game for just the PC anymore. I expect all future AAA title games will be console games and then later will be ported to the PC. In terms of graphical, physics, textures, lighting, shadows, etc... I see no future for the PC. It's just going to be console consoles console console.[/citation]

*cough* Battlefield3 *cough*

G

It's not like the good old days growing up with an atari 2600 and thought that was the end-all-be-all and had no expectations of there ever being anything better down the road. Then along came the NES... same thinking... wow this is the best thing ever I cant wait to see the games for this thing in 10 years.. and of course Sega MS, SNES, Genesis, etc in no particular order. To you young folks, when a game system was released, we appreciated it because as far as we knew, it was the best it was ever gonna get. Nowadays, you little b@st@rds just find something or everything to complain about. Go start a company, build your own console, or stfu.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Buy a computer.Consoles aren't made for upgrading,...[/citation] That was the point with my last message. The console game market is pretty much controlling the PC games market as well. Most PC games today are ported straight from consoles and they don't fully utilize the PC hardware which is really bad because it pretty much damages the PC gamer market. If people don't find use for the hardware they buy then the demand for hardware such as GPUs will shrink.

So I really hope that AMD/Nvidia will employ strategies in regards to the gaming consoles that will benefit the PC gamer market and not stall it like they do today.

G

Wait. FAIL. The Wii U will be the only next-gen console out for 2 years. The title is WRONG!
Before the trolls try to contradict me, the Wii is considered part of the current generation.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Even better give us the freedom to expand our consoles by simply been able to add more RAM, add more video memory, or even change the GPU 5 years down the road if we want.[/citation]

You already have that. It's a PC.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Consoles have a life span of about 10 years, so I do hope for something better than "good enough" when they decided which GPU, CPU, amount of RAM etc... Even better give us the freedom to expand our consoles by simply been able to add more RAM, add more video memory, or even change the GPU 5 years down the road if we want.[/citation]

Yeah, I remember when we could "upgrade" consoles, like the Sega Genesis. It was more or less a complete waste of money. I know things are different now, but to me, the whole point to a console is that it puts everyone on equal grounds. So no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.