Allocating RAM to Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2019
Good afternoon.
I have a dell notebook that I use to play games, and I am trying to improve its performance at least a bit. My notebook specifications are the following:
Windows 10
Intel core i5 7th gen
8gb ram
Intel hd graphics 620
1tb hd
So, my question is, if I allocate 1024mb of ram into my graphics card, will I have a better performance in games? And will I be able to play games that require, for example, 512mb of vram to play (even though it's not a good gaming graphics card)? Games like arma 3 (https://arma3.com/requirements) and battlefield 3 (https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/battlefield-3/11211), for example. Because in theory, I could play, as I attend all requirements when it comes to numbers.
Thank you.

Solution
Integrated graphics, like the laptop HD620 use system ram as vram.
In the bios, there may be an option to change the default to perhaps 1gb.
That is always a good thing for graphics processing so long as the remaining 7gb is sufficient for your needs.
If you are not also multitasking, 7gb should be sufficient.

Is your ram dual channel? If not, you can improve graphics performance significantly by adding a second stick to get dual channel operation.
CPU-Z will tell you all you need to know about your ram.
Go to a site such as Kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop to see if there is a supported ram upgrade.

geofelt

Distinguished
Integrated graphics, like the laptop HD620 use system ram as vram.
In the bios, there may be an option to change the default to perhaps 1gb.
That is always a good thing for graphics processing so long as the remaining 7gb is sufficient for your needs.
If you are not also multitasking, 7gb should be sufficient.

Is your ram dual channel? If not, you can improve graphics performance significantly by adding a second stick to get dual channel operation.
CPU-Z will tell you all you need to know about your ram.
Go to a site such as Kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop to see if there is a supported ram upgrade.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.