Alot of recent problems with avast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankturtle

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
So recently i reinstalled avast free antivirus (i uninstalled it because of some problems) and when it was installed i was greated with worse problems that i had before uninstalling it.

Before i uninstalled it i usually ran a scan one a week and completely disabled it when i wasn't using it, however for some reason in the task manager "avast service" was using 100% disk with over 60Mbps usage. i really didn't understand why so i just uninstalled it for some time.

But now after installing it agian i have the exact same issue exept whenever i run a scan it asks me to buy pro if i want it to remove the virus. this has caused alot of issues (you can probably guess why) and i was just wondering if avast free antivirus is just become a scam or if i've just completely broken avast.

any response would be very much appreciated.

Solution
Hi blankturtle, I would like to help however I can!

First of all, Avast Free is definitely capable of removing/quarantining viruses and malware as well as detecting and preventing them. What you're seeing are notifications for our premium products, which contain more protection features (such as Ransomware Shield which is an extra layer of file protection) but are not required for you to quarantine a threat. If you purchase a paid version, you can remove these notifications :)

As for the disk usage, did you see this during an active or scheduled scan? It wouldn't be unusual for an actively running scan to impact your disk usage but it also shouldn't bring things to a grinding halt. Of course, this also depends on the OS and specs of...

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi blankturtle, I would like to help however I can!

First of all, Avast Free is definitely capable of removing/quarantining viruses and malware as well as detecting and preventing them. What you're seeing are notifications for our premium products, which contain more protection features (such as Ransomware Shield which is an extra layer of file protection) but are not required for you to quarantine a threat. If you purchase a paid version, you can remove these notifications :)

As for the disk usage, did you see this during an active or scheduled scan? It wouldn't be unusual for an actively running scan to impact your disk usage but it also shouldn't bring things to a grinding halt. Of course, this also depends on the OS and specs of your system as well as the conditions.

If you are continuing to experience these issues, instead of a reinstall, I'd recommend running an Online Repair and then rebooting. You can do this through Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Select Avast and "Change" -> Select Online Repair

Let us know if this helps!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.