Alright, I have a Graphics Card and a Surround Sound 5.1 and a 60'' SUHD Smart Tv Samsung

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I have my Video coming out from my PC to my SUHD TV with and HDMI cable. I have a Fiber Optic(for audio) from my SUHD TV to my Surround Sound. The HDMI cable coming from my Computer to my TV is what carries the Audio as well but it's only showing an option to setup for Stereo and nothing else i.e. Surround 5.1 , 7.1, etc. Is there something I am not doing to create a surround sound output from my graphics card to my tv? I have my TV on and on the correct input(PC and the correct HDMI for it) I can hear the computer sound and all but it doesn't show or "test sounds" as a 5.1. only Stero (left and right speaker).

Solution

Yes it can take an optical input which is why I went out and bought the cable so I could connect all the sound up properly. My friend at the time a couple years ago helped me with connecting everything and telling me what I needed to buy but not what I needed to do to complete the setup. I can take some pictures or even a short video of what is happening and I believe I can post it here for anyone to see. It'll basically be...

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
It almost appears that there is a surround sound sound coming from my speakers when i go to youtube and play a demo for 5.1 surround sound test. but when it goes to my rear speakers (L and R) it plays sound from them mainly but it also includes my front speakers (L and R) as well. and when it tested my sub i did not feel or hear any sound from it although when the demo is playing all speakers at once for a full test, i can hear the sub is at work but only because it's syncing with the other 5 speakers and not actually filling the bass for itself if that makes sense.

Andy_K

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
It's probably because the pc is detecting that the tv only has stereo speakers - There may be an option to do a passthrough on the tv which could allow the pc to open up the options for 5.1

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
^ correct

As the HDMI is the audio output at the moment, it is sensing only 2 speakers and therefore is outputting 2.0. If the TV can do prologic or something by faking surround from a 2.0 source then it will do that.

There are 2 things you can do.

1. run HDMI from PC to AMP and then to TV, the HDMI will detect the AMP and what it is capable of etc. and allow for 5.1
or
2. in your sound settings (basic windows one) your playback device should be changed to optical out, this will then go to the AMP and again you'll get the options for 5.1 etc.

Andy_K

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Yes, If you have an Optical out on your pc, it would be best to go direct from there to your surround, rather than PC > TV > Surround

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Disagree, optical can only do compressed 5.1, HDMI can do uncompressed.

Andy_K

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Well of course, but the original post said that the surround was connected via Optical, surely they would be using HDMI all the way if that were an option.

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I decided that the Display for the different types I'd sound outputs is bugged, I did more surround sound test and can seeand hear the surround sound actually does work. Visually it just doesn't display correctly. I'll eventually be able to afford a sound card for my PC and things should obviously run smoothly from then on. Need a new graphics card first off before starting on other pieces next on the list like the motherboard. Do those at the same time and then slowly and surely run without problems for a while.

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
And also after reading these other very helpful responses, I have a few other things to test. I see I gave up too quickly xD and yes the quickest way would be go directly fiber optic from my computer to my surround sound system which I can do I think but my TV won't be plugged in directly to the surround sound. Basically I'm using the TV as a midway point for my computer soind ALONG with the capabilities to use it for TV audio while my computer is off...ie Netflix, panora, YouTube webz, its a smart tv really new and I love it and am waiting to max its 4k 240hrtz(refresh rate?) and all its potential including sound obviously is the main point here. But I will do some looking on to the TV settings and my computers drivers and settings too. I just reformatted the Samsung terabyte solid state drive and installed a fresh copy of windows on it which is also the reason I'm having these problems.

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
@13thmonkey by AMP you mean the surround sound DVD player system setup thong I have then yes it does have a HDMI out but not input if any sorts. So I cant route the connection differently I don't believe

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
@garryash no I haven't gone directly from my computer to the sound system because I want to have the use of the surround sound system for my computer (TV needs to be on and set for PC Input HDMI for sound to play from computer to my surround sound system) along with using my TV separately with with surround sound while my computer is off

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
@everyone, I have a fiber optic cable from my TV to my surround sound for audio 5.1 use. So like the sound travels like this I guess: Computer Graphics Card HDMI Cable - Smart TV HDMI Input - Smart TV Fiber Optic Cable - Surround Sound System.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Can your dvd player thing even take an optical input?

kaceylauinger

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Yes it can take an optical input which is why I went out and bought the cable so I could connect all the sound up properly. My friend at the time a couple years ago helped me with connecting everything and telling me what I needed to buy but not what I needed to do to complete the setup. I can take some pictures or even a short video of what is happening and I believe I can post it here for anyone to see. It'll basically be a video of me pointing at the back of my computer and following the cables from there, along with showing the audio settings on both my computer and TV. It's a bit of work to do all this so I will first try to adjust settings and whatnot and figure it out myself before attempting a video description.

Solution