Amazon Accidentally Sold Customer a Stolen iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Those kind of things just happen to.......happen. I'm pretty sure the guy will receive even a new one from Amazon after this. In the end Amazon is a serious seller.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Or he bought two phones, one from Amazon and one from somewhere else, and is blaming Amazon in order to "phone-launder" the stolen one (for various possible reasons I can think of, ranging from mostly-innocuous to criminal).

I mean, I suspect that he is telling the truth, I'm just saying that there are other possible explanations...

jojesa

Distinguished
I would not trust Verizon either.
A friend of mine bought a brand new phone and when he was trying to activated he was told something similar. We tried again after 2 days and they activated the phone...Very weird.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Wow. I wonder how it came in to Amazon's possession and why they don't do better checks to ensure that they're not accepting phones that stolen.

drenyx

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I recently used Radioshack to get some money for a phone we no longer wanted (it was our phone and we upgraded away from it)

Before they offered anything for it, it was checked to make sure the number was good/clean. I suspect this is what happened. It was probably stolen then sold to someone that sends phones to get refurbished and the thief was paid before the phone was listed in the 'stolen' database.

I hate to say it, but I can see this happening easily enough. A refurb shop run by amazon or not says "it's already been checked, why should we check it again". But I agree it would be more professional to not have this stuff happen.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]SkateZilla[/nom]Amazon is a Storefront (Like a Mall), One of the Amazon Store Sellers sold it, Not Amazon.[/citation]

Amazon is an on-line shop, same as newegg, bestbuy ecc. It doesn't have actual store, but it has physical warehouses from which they ship their products and also products from other sellers.
It's correct that they are many different sellers on Amazon, but Amazon is also a seller itself.
I don't know how is it in the states, but usually in Amazon.de the best offers are from Amazon and not from other sellers on Amazon.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]SkateZilla[/nom]Amazon is a Storefront (Like a Mall), One of the Amazon Store Sellers sold it, Not Amazon.[/citation]
Amazon Warehouse Deals is not a seller, it is Amazon selling and just an FYI but Amazon does sell on their own and have their own warehouses, it's not just a store front for other sellers.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

refurb through Amazon's Warehouse Deals

Literacy is a lost art, intelligence even more so

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Literacy is a lost art, intelligence even more so[/citation]

Unfortunately, you have neither.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Is anyone else wondering when the police are getting involved? Is this not handling stolen goods? They sold a stolen phone, are they not liable?

I was taught that ignorance is not a defence in law. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.